The Gathering of Women’s Flower Girls program, for girls age 5-17, teaches etiquette, community involvement, health, merit, praise dancing, the arts, and sisterhood. Girls explore and share their hopes and dreams through creative projects, journaling, group presentations and team building exercises.
The program is designed to empower each young girl and to build strong character, allow them to demonstrate critical thinking, and develop in each girl responsibility and a positive sense of self. We believe that every girl is precious with unique gifts and strengths.
Flower Girls are regarded as the symbols of purity, virginity and youth. In weddings, they historically proceed the bride in the wedding procession The innocence of the childhood embodies in the young flower girl.
The Flower Girls program was developed and named after Ms. Rene’ Flowers in recognition of her commitment and contribution in making our community a better place, and for her determination in making our schools an inclusive education system whereby students and adults are welcomed and supported, and where their faces, voices and experiences are reflected and valued. The six month program meets on a bi-weekly basis on Saturdays from 10-12 PM . A typical group is composed of 20-25 girls
The gathering of Women`s Flower Girls Program has six primary components
· The Arts: Singing, drama/acting will be offered for building thespians characterization.
- Etiquette: Teaching young girls the fundamentals of social skills and etiquette.
- Creative movement/Music: Introduction of various genres of music, ballet, tap, jazz, theatre dance, hip-hop, rock, jazz, and gospel.
- Community involvement: The Flower Girls will be involved in a project that address a community problem they believe is important to change.
- Sports: Physical Fitness, stronger bodies for stronger minds
- Building relationships. Appreciating people different from them, trusting the reasons behind what other people do.
The Gathering of Women, Inc. was founded in 2005 to provide a voice for women and a force for change. We are a cross-cultural alliance of women catalyzing partnerships and developing community projects to achieve sustained economic security and opportunities for members of the community.
For more information on this program and other The Gathering of Women programs, contact Samantha Richardson, President: