Tampa, Fla. (May 2, 2016) – TBBCA will award six Tampa Bay area high school students the 2016 Charlie Hounchell Art Stars Scholarships on Wednesday, May 11th at 5:30 p.m. at TBBCA pARTner The Museum of Fine Arts, located at 255 Beach Drive NE in St. Petersburg.
Each scholarship winner will be awarded $2,500, one in each of six fine and performing arts categories: theatre, literary arts, dance, instrumental music, vocal music and visual arts, and scholarship recipients will showcase their talent at the CHASS Awards Ceremony. Since 2007, TBBCA has awarded financial assistance for higher education in the arts to more than 50 Tampa Bay area students who are among the most promising and talented young artists and performers in the nation.
This TBBCA program is named in honor of TBBCA Past President, the late Charlie Hounchell, who was the program’s founder and champion. Once again this year, a deep talent pool of more than 100 students from Hillsborough, Pinellas and Pasco Counties submitted scholarship applications, judged on the basis of talent and merit by a distinguished panel of experts in their field.
The 2016 winners of the TBBCA Charlie Hounchell Art Stars Scholarships are:
• Theatre – Courteney McClutchy, 12th grade, East Lake High School
• Literary Arts – Lyrik Courtney, 11th grade, Howard W. Blake High School
• Dance – Sabrina Downing, 12th grade, Howard W. Blake High School
• Instrumental Music – Jason Charos, 11th grade, Pinellas County Center for the Arts at Gibbs High School
• Vocal Music – Lillian Kraack, 12th grade, Newsome High School
• Visual Arts – Aidan Schaffert, 11th grade, Gibbs High School
The 2016 panel of judges are:
• Theatre – Eugenie Bondurant, singer, television and film actor, with numerous featured roles including as Tigris in the “The Hunger Games: Mockingjay-Part 2” and on staff of the Patel Conservatory
• Literary Arts – Lisa Unger, award-winning New York Times and internationally best-selling author
• Dance – Helen Hansen French, Juilliard graduate, a member of Karen Reedy Dance, Buglisi Dance Theatre, and St. Pete Dance Alliance, and on faculty at John Hopkins Middle School and St. Petersburg College
• Instrumental Music – Paul Wilborn, pianist, musician and bandleader, and executive director of The Palladium Theater at St. Petersburg College
• Vocal Music – Dawne Eubanks, classical soloist and voice instructor at Eckerd College and Pinellas County Center for the Arts at Gibbs High School
• Visual Arts – Michael Murphy, gallery owner of Michael Murphy Gallery M
At The Charlie Hounchell Art Stars Scholarships Awards Ceremony on May 11th, TBBCA will formally announce the 2016 Impact Awards Honorees: Mark Mahaffey, Patron of Culture & the Arts Impact Award; Dr. Kent Lydecker, Individual Impact Award; Smith & Associates/Bob Glaser, Business Impact Award; and Janet Echelman, International Artistic Achievement Impact Award.
TBBCA 2016 Impact Awards benefit TBBCA programs, including The Charlie Hounchell Art Stars Scholarships. The public is invited to the CHASS Awards Ceremony and Impact Awards Honorees announcement. Advance registration is required, as space is limited. To register, please contact email@example.com. TBBCA is grateful to CHASS Awards Ceremony Reception Sponsor TBBCA pARTner BNY Mellon Wealth Management.
TBBCA is a 501 (c) (3) nonprofit organization serving Pinellas, Hillsborough and Pasco Counties with the mission to unite Tampa Bay area businesses to champion arts education, arts and culture for a prosperous community. One of 11 national Business Committees for the Arts of the private sector network of Americans for the Arts, TBBCA provides connections, advocacy, funding and support for artists, arts education, and arts and cultural organizations. TBBCA programs are made possible through the generosity of TBBCA pARTners, including Chair’s Circle: Premier Eye Care; Stephen Gay/Gay & Associates Realtors; Linda and Michael Connelly; The Beaux Arts Group; Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick; The DeBartolo Family Foundation; MedHOK; B2 Communications, Tampa Bay Magazine; Tampa Bay Times/*tbt; Cox Media Group, The Wilson Company, Chappell Roberts, and Alex McKnight Archival Images.
For information on Impact Awards sponsorships/tables or to donate directly to CHASS go to www.tbbca.org or contact TBBCA at (813) 221-2787. Individual scholarship naming rights and sponsorships are available.