With Alvin Hough, Jr., piano, mezzo-soprano Amy Connours, and the Gloria Musicae Singers
December 20 and 21 • Historic Asolo Theater
Will and Anthony Nunziata bring their soaring tenor voices and energetic stage presence to this musical celebration of the joys of life, music and family, with fresh takes on classic Christmas songs, Broadway hits and Italian favorites.
“The brothers play off each other in a way that Dean Martin and Frank Sinatra bounced off one another in those irreverent Rat-Pack days of another era.”
–Theater Scene Magazine
(Sarasota, Florida) Artist Series Concerts of Sarasota presents cabaret idols Will and Anthony Nunziata in “A Broadway Holiday,” Saturday, December 20, 7:30 p.m., and Sunday, December 21, 2:00 p.m. and 7:30 p.m., at the Historic Asolo Theater, 5401 Bay Shore Road, Sarasota. Broadway pianist Alvin Hough, Jr., mezzo-soprano Amy Connours, and the Gloria Musicae Singers join the Nunziata brothers for this special performance of classic holiday songs and favorite tunes from Broadway and Italy, including “Joy to the World,” I’ll be Home for Christmas,” “Lullaby of Broadway,” O Sole Mio,” and many more. Tickets are $25 to $45 and can be purchased online at www.artistseriesconcerts.org or by calling 941-360-7399.
Hailed by The Wall Street Journal as “blessed with strong voices and leading man looks” and by The New York Times for their “engagingly brassy professionalism,” Will and Anthony Nunziata have won acclaim for their fresh interpretations of classic pop standards, Broadway showstoppers, and contemporary and classic Italian tunes at performances across the country and around the world. They recently appeared as guest artists with the Cleveland Pops Orchestra, the Colorado Symphony Orchestra, the Cape Cod Symphony Orchestra, and the Annapolis Symphony. On television, they have been featured on “The Rachael Ray Show,” “Good Morning America” and NBC’s Columbus Day Parade broadcast.
“This will be a fast-paced musical celebration that warmly captures the joyous spirit of the holiday season,” says John Fischer, executive director of Artist Series Concerts of Sarasota. “We invite you to celebrate with us!”
Since 1996, Artist Series Concerts of Sarasota has presented an ever-expanding annual season of concerts by globally renowned and celebrated emerging artists. The 2014-2015 season runs through May 2015 and includes six concerts in its “Classical Recital Series,” four concerts in its “Pop Series,” and three special concerts. Three “Lunch, Look and Listen” events are also scheduled. For more information about the Artist Series Concerts of Sarasota’s 2014-2015 season, visit www.artistseriesconcerts.org or call 941-306-1202.
The 2014-2015 Season at a Glance
Classical Recital Series
Saturday and Sunday evenings at 7:30 p.m. at the Historic Asolo Theater; 5401 Bay Shore Road, Sarasota.
- Takaoki Onishi, baritone, and Arlene Shrut, piano, performing works by Ravel, Korngold and Rossini. December 6 and 7.
- Adrian Anantawan, violin, and Amy Yang, piano, performing works by Brahms, Ravel and Mozart. January 31 and February 1.
- Ying Quartet with Ayano Ninomiya, violin, Janet Ying, violin, Phillip Ying, viola, and David Ying, cello, performing works by Haydn, Auerbach, and Beethoven. March 14 and 15.
- Bion Tsang, cello, and Adam Neiman, piano, performing works by Faure, Beethoven and Rachmaninoff. April 18 and 19.
- Adrienne Danrich, vocalist, and Djordje Nesic, piano. May 30 and 31.
At the Historic Asolo Theater; 5401 Bay Shore Road, Sarasota.
- “Into the Night with Gershwin: The Music of George Gershwin and Marvin Hamlisch” with Thomas Pandolfi, piano. February 28, 7:30 p.m., and March 1, 2 and 7:30 p.m.
- “Trumpet Invasion” with Brandon Ridenour, trumpet, Mara Bonde, soprano, and Rich Ridenour, piano. May 2, 7:30 p.m., and May 3, 2 and 7:30 p.m.
- “A Romp With Gilbert & Sullivan” with Tracy Olivera, soprano, Bob McDonald, baritone, Steve Cramer, tenor, Joseph Holt, piano, and the Gloria Musicae Singers performing highlights from “Pirates” “The Mikado,” and “Pinafore.” May 9, 7:30 p.m., and May 10, 2 and 7:30 p.m.
Lunch, Look and Listen
One-hour concerts at 11 a.m. followed by lunch at 12:15 p.m. At Michael’s On East Ballroom, 1212 East Avenue South, Sarasota.
- Trio Voila with Thomas Koch, guitar, Jane Hoffman, flute, and Laura Jensen Jennings, viola, performing works by Beethoven, Johanson, and Willis. January 22.
- “Best Of The Great American Songbook” with Jennifer Sheehan, cabaret/theater singer, and James Followell, piano, performing songs by Jerome Kern, Cole Porter, Richard Rodgers, Oscar Hammerstein, Stephen Sondheim and more. February 12.
- Samus Haddad, baritone, and Lee Dougherty Ross, piano, performing spirituals and songs by Weill and Hoiby. March 19.
Sunday afternoons at 2 p.m. and Monday evenings at 7:30 p.m. At the Weisenborne/Fischer residence. Call for address.
- Jennifer Kim, classical guitar. April 26 and 27.
At the Historic Asolo Theater, 5401 Bay Shore Road, Sarasota.
The 2015 Edvard Grieg Festival in Florida features three concerts of lesser-known works performed by Antonio Pompa-Baldi, piano; Njǻl Sparbo, bass-baritone; Einar Røttingen, piano; Einar Røttingen, piano; and the Gloria Musicae Singers, under the direction of Dr. Joseph Holt. Also featuring lectures, presentations, an exhibit of Grieg’s manuscripts, and a competition for prizes that include a concert tour in Norway. January 9-11. For a complete listing of all events, visit www.griegfestivalinflorida.org.
Artist Series Concerts of Sarasota
Artist Series Concerts of Sarasota was formed in 1996 as the Artist Series of Sarasota. The group is a non-profit corporation based in Sarasota, FL, that prides itself on presenting several major national and international varieties of concert, opera, orchestral, Broadway and film performances throughout their season. The majority of the performances are staged at the restored Historic Asolo Theater at The Ringling.
Photos courtesy of the artists.