Hudson, Florida (November 14, 2014) – Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point’s clinical dietitians and clinical pharmacists were recently recognized by HCA West Florida Division. The division’s directors of Food & Nutrition Services and Clinical Pharmacy Services as well as RMCBP’s senior leaders recognized the hospital’s dietitians and pharmacists for achieving their goal of more than 90% of parenteral nutrition therapy meeting evidence based criteria for the third quarter of 2014.
The Parenteral Nutrition Quality Initiative was developed jointly by the clinical dietitians and clinical pharmacists of west Florida division of HCA for use of all hospitals in the division. This initiative has received national recognition within the company and now HCA plans to replicate the initiative nationwide.
Evidence-based guidelines are published jointly by ASPEN (American Society for Parenteral & Enteral Nutrition) and SCCM (Society for Critical Care Medicine). The team of registered dietitians and clinical pharmacists, along with physicians and nurses evaluates each case prior to beginning parenteral nutrition therapy.
What is Total Parenteral Nutrition? Total parenteral nutrition (TPN) is intravenous nutrition that provides all the nutrients needed by the body. There are several evidence-based criteria that are used to evaluate when the therapy is indicated. In general, the evidence-based criteria state that TPN should be reserved for patients whose gastrointestinal tract does not work.The risks of TPN therapy outweigh the benefits for patients who could receive nutrition through their gastrointestinal tract.
About Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point Regional Medical Center Bayonet has been serving the community since 1981. We are a 290-bed acute care hospital located in Hudson, FL and home of the nationally acclaimed Heart Institute. We have more than 350 physicians, 1,264 employees and 500 volunteers on our integrated healthcare delivery team.
Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point has achieved distinction in the following areas:
* Level II Trauma Center
* 2011 and 2012 Top Performing Hospital for Key Quality Measures for heart attack, heart failure, pneumonia, and surgical care – The Joint Commission
* Certified Advance Primary Stroke Center – Joint Commission
* Heart & Stroke Champions Award Winner 1998 – 2011
* MRI, CT, Ultrasound, and Nuclear Medicine Accredited – American College of Radiology
* Approved Community Cancer Program – American College of Surgeons.
* 5 Joint Commission Disease- Specific Certifications: primary stroke center, acute myocardial infarction, coronary artery bypass graft, joint replacement hip, joint replacement knee!
* Awarded Hospital Safety Score of “A” in four consecutive rankings by The Leapfrog Group. * Recipient of the 2014 American Heart Association (AHA)/American Stroke Association’s Get With The Guidelines® Gold Performance Achievement Award in stroke.
Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point is located at 14000 Fivay Road, Hudson, FL. 34667. For additional information on Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point visit www.rmchealth.com or www.heartoftampa.com or visit us on Facebook.