The Hillsborough County Public Utilities Department is one of several water/wastewater utilities participating in a regional Career Exploration event hosted by St. Petersburg College on Thursday, Nov. 6, from 6 to 8 p.m. The panel discussion and networking event is being held at the City of St. Petersburg’s Water Resources Complex, located at 1650 Third Ave., N. in St. Petersburg.
The free event is a great chance for students, individuals in career transition and returning military members to learn about current and future career opportunities, training requirements, as well as salaries and available scholarships. Participants include Public Works Academy at Pinellas Technical Education College, St. Petersburg College, American Water Works Association, Florida Water and Pollution Control Operators Association, and the cities of Clearwater, Oldsmar, St. Petersburg, Tarpon Springs, and Hillsborough, Pinellas, Sarasota and Manatee Counties.
Demand is steadily increasing for skilled public works/utilities positions, due in part to retiring professionals leaving the industry. The public utilities profession has a wide range of needs and career opportunities, including:
• utilities administration (leadership, compliance, public relations, data management, project management, reporting, accounting/finance, customer service, etc.)
• water and wastewater treatment
• collection and distribution systems (such as pipelines and pumping stations)
• water quality maintenance and analysis (including laboratory positions)
• electrical/mechanical maintenance and repair
• computer/control systems programming, maintenance and repair, information technology
• professional consulting (engineering, hydrogeology, economics, environmental science, etc.)
For more information about the Career Exploration event, contact Dwight D. Wilson, Assistant Director, St. Petersburg Water Resources Department, (727) 892-5095 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Hillsborough County Public Utilities Department employs more than 800 professionals in a wide range of rewarding job opportunities fitting a broad range of skills. Examples of jobs in the water sector and links to current Hillsborough County job openings are available at the Careers in Water link at www.HillsboroughCounty.org/PUD.