Spring Hill, Florida (October 20, 2014) – Oak Hill Hospital announces that it has received full accreditation with PCI from the Society of Cardiovascular Patient Care (SCPC).
“We are particularly pleased to once again receive full accreditation with PCI from the Society of Cardiovascular Patient Care,” said Frank Guardiani, Sr., BA, CCT, RCIS, Director of Cardiology Services at Oak Hill Hospital. “This is one more indication of Oak Hill Hospital’s commitment to provide our community with the highest standards of service especially in the areas of cardiovascular care.”
Heart attacks are the leading cause of death in the United States, with 600,000 people dying annually of heart disease. More than five million Americans visit hospitals each year with chest pain. SCPC’s goal is to significantly reduce the mortality rate of these patients by teaching the public to recognize and react to the early symptoms of a possible heart attack, reduce the time that it takes to receive treatment, and increase the accuracy and effectiveness of treatment.
The Accredited Chest Pain Center’s protocol-driven and systematic approach to patient management allows physicians to reduce time to treatment during the critical early stages of a heart attack, when treatments are most effective, and to better monitor patients when it is not clear whether or not they are having a coronary event. Such observation helps ensure that patients are neither sent home too early nor needlessly admitted.
With the increase in chest pain centers came the need to establish standards designed to improve the consistency and quality of care provided to patients. SCPC’s accreditation process ensures that centers meet or exceed quality-of-care measures in acute cardiac medicine.
The Accredited Chest Pain Center at Oak Hill Hospital has demonstrated its expertise and commitment to quality patient care by meeting or exceeding a wide set of stringent criteria and undergoing an onsite review by a team of SPCP’s accreditation review specialists. Key areas in which an Accredited Chest Pain Center must demonstrate expertise include the following:
· Integrating the emergency department with the local emergency medical system
· Assessing, diagnosing, and treating patients quickly
· Effectively treating patients with low risk for acute coronary syndrome and no assignable cause for their symptoms
· Continually seeking to improve processes and procedures
· Ensuring the competence and training of Accredited Chest Pain Center personnel
· Maintaining organizational structure and commitment
· Having a functional design that promotes optimal patient care
· Supporting community outreach programs that educate the public to promptly seek medical care if they display symptoms of a possible heart attack
Visit the Oak Hill Hospital newsroom for recent releases: www.OakHillHospital.com/About/Newsroom/
About Oak Hill Hospital:
Oak Hill Hospital has been serving the Nature Coast since 1984. It is the largest medical facility in Hernando and Citrus Counties (262 acute care beds), is the area’s largest private employer, and offers Hernando County’s only comprehensive cardiovascular program, including open heart surgery. Approximately 370 physicians, almost 1100 associates, and over 250 volunteers comprise Oak Hill Hospital’s healthcare delivery team.
Oak Hill has demonstrated its healthcare leadership by achieving distinction as the:
· First hospital in the area to offer a Graduate Medical Education (GME) program with a residency in internal medicine.
· First hospital in the area to offer an on-site critical care intensivist program to provide 24/7 on-site intensive care in the 36 bed ICU of the hospital’s North Tower.
· First and only open heart surgery hospital in Hernando County.
· First hospital in our region to receive the Women’s Choice Award for Emergency Care Excellence by WomenCertified, home of the Women’s Choice Awards.
· First accredited Chest Pain Center with PCI (heart catheterization) and the first hospital in the area to achieve heart failure accreditation by the Society of Chest Pain Centers.
· First and only advanced level primary stroke center in Hernando County to be fully accredited by The Joint Commission.
· First comprehensive Women’s Imaging Center in Hernando County and the first imaging center offering digital mammography with computer-aided detection.
· First hospital in the area to be recognized as an accredited cancer institute by the Commission on Cancer (CoC) of the American College of Surgeons (ACoS).
· First hospital in the region to offer a comprehensive Orthopaedic & Spine Institute and first to achieve national certification by The Joint Commission for its hip & knee replacement and spinal fusion programs.
· First in the nation to have achieved 100% Board Certified Emergency Nurses, CENs, for which it was honored by the Emergency Nurses Association (ENA). Also recognized by the ENA as a two-time recipient of the Lantern Award. Only two hospitals in Florida and only 17 hospitals nationwide have earned this prestigious honor for exceptional and innovative leadership, practice, education, advocacy and research.
· Now offers the most advanced robotic assisted surgical system: the newly refined da Vinci® Si Surgical System.
· Named by The Joint Commission as one of the nation’s Top Performers on Key Quality Measures in Heart Attack, Heart Failure, Pneumonia, and Surgical Care.
It is located at 11375 Cortez Boulevard, Spring Hill, 1.9 miles east of US 19 on State Road 50. For more information about this release, please contact Richard W. Linkul, Director of Marketing, at 352-597-6383 or Richard.Linkul@HCAHealthcare.com. In Citrus call 352-628-6441. For more information about Oak Hill Hospital, visit our website at OakHillHospital.com, or like us on Facebook.
About the Society of Cardiovascular Patient Care
The Society of Cardiovascular Patient Care (SCPC) is an international not-for-profit organization that focuses on transforming cardiovascular care by assisting facilities in their effort to create communities of excellence that bring together quality, cost and patient satisfaction. As the only cross-specialty organization, SCPC provides the support needed for individual hospitals and hospital systems to effectively bridge existing gaps in treatment by providing the tools, education and support necessary to successfully navigate the changing face of healthcare. For more information on SCPC, accreditation and certification opportunities, visit www.scpcp.org, or call toll free 1-877-271-4176.