GULFSIDE OFFERS COMPLIMENTARY ADVANCE PLANNING TOOLS THIS NATIONAL HOSPICE MONTH
PASCO COUNTY, Fla. (October 20, 2014) – In celebration of National Hospice and Palliative Care Month this November, Gulfside Hospice & Pasco Palliative Care is offering complimentary copies of Five Wishes, an easy-to-use tool with advance directives and planning information prior to becoming seriously ill.
“Five Wishes is unique among all other living will and health agent forms because it looks to all of a person’s needs: medical, personal, emotional and spiritual,” said Linda Ward, Gulfside’s president and CEO. “This legal document lets family members and doctors know which person one chooses to make health care decisions if you become incapacitated, medical treatment desires, comfort level, and how one chooses to be treated.”
Five Wishes is published by Aging with Dignity and was written with the help of The American Bar Association’s Commission on Law & Aging. It is legally valid under the advance directive statutes in most states, including Florida. The document contains five wishes:
• Wish One lets you choose the person you want to make decisions for you when you can’t make them for yourself.
• Wish Two is a living will. It helps you put in writing the kind of medical treatment you want or don’t want if you become seriously ill and can’t communicate to anyone.
• Wishes Three and Four allow you to describe in detail how you want to be treated to maintain dignity.
• Wish Five gives you a chance to tell others how you want to be remembered.
To receive your own copy of the Five Wishes, stop by the Gulfside Center for Hospice Care in Zephyrhills, 5760 Dean Dairy Road, or any of Gulfside’s Thrift Shoppes during the month of November and pick up a copy at the cash register. The Thrift Shoppes, open Monday – Saturday from 9 a.m. – 5 p.m., are located at:
• Hudson Thrift Shoppe – 12154 US Highway 19 in Bayonet Point; 727-861-4900
• New Port Richey Thrift Shoppe – 6117 State Road 54; 727-842-7262
• Zephyrhills Thrift Shoppe – 36524 State Road 54; 813-788-5461
• Dade City Thrift Shoppe – 37925 Sky Ridge Circle; 813-782-7200
• Lutz Thrift Shoppe – 1930 Land O’Lakes Blvd.; 813-909-0485
Available while supplies last; limit one per person. Spanish versions are available by calling Gulfside’s office. For more information, call Kirsty Churchill at 727-845-5707 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Gulfside Hospice, initially licensed in 1989, serves more than 350 patients daily. Gulfside employs over 250 professionals and has more than 550 volunteers, and is the only hospice that serves Pasco County exclusively. Pasco Palliative Care, initially licensed in 2009, serves Pasco County residents facing chronic illness, who are not hospice appropriate or still seeking curative treatment. For more information about GHPPC, call 800-561-4883 or visit www.ghppc.org.