The second race in the second annual Sarasota SUP (Stand Up Paddleboard) Race Series lands at Nathan Benderson Park in Sarasota, FL on Saturday, August 23rd. Tickets for competitors are available at www.sarasotasupseries.com and admission is free to the public with activities, board demos, skateboard races, vendors and entertainment for all ages. Races start at 9:00 Am Saturday morning. Race personnel and vendors will be setting up Friday afternoon for media interested in pre-race interviews.
Benderson Park is the top water sports venue in North America and offers a totally unique experience for SUP Racers: Active wave attenuation systems, making for a flat and fast SUP race course, while racers are close to bike paths through the race course so coaches, fans and family can accompany and cheer on their racers by bicycle through the entire race.
Events and Activities for the August 23rd Sarasota SUP Series Race include:
· Elite 10 K “Choose your own course direction” Race, 5K Recreational Race, Grom 1 K Race
· “Dash For Cash” Sprint Races…winner of each division is handed $50 bill
· Free Longboard, Penny Skateboard and Vert Ramp course for all to enjoy (Sponsored by The Compound Board Shop)
· Lunch and SUP Sarasota Custom Flex Fit hats to all entries and Division Winners receive custom Camelback Water Bottle Trophies
· Raffle Prizes from Camelback, Kona, Go Puck, Tommy Bahama, Sports Authority, SUP Sarasota, The Compound Board Shop, NK SpeedCoach, Riviera, Starboard, Board Balance, etc.
· Over 12 Different Board manufacturers to demo the latest boards..and over 30 SUP related vendors to see and demo the top gear.
· Tommy Bahama Lounge with free appetizers and cocktails
· Kona Girls paddling the park giving out free Kona Brews and a Kona Cornhole Area where all are welcome to grab a partner and compete.
· Lazybunz Water Lounge, have some food, grab a beer and a Lazybunz Lounger and relax and listen to some tunes in the cool water!
Race Course Map:
This Course is for both the 5K and 10 K Races. Both Races have a Regatta Island Beach start and head directly west towards two large buoys. The 5K Race completes a counterclockwise 5K loop around the perimeter of the lake, leaving all buoys to port (your left). The 10K Race must complete two 5K loops around the perimeter of the lake. The direction of the first lap is determined by the athlete, you may go clockwise or counterclockwise. Passing of all incoming paddlers must be port to port. The second lap must be the opposite direction of the first lap.
Facebook Site: https://www.facebook.com/sarasotasupraceseries
Photos from the 2013 Sarasota SUP Series Benderson Park Race: https://www.flickr.com/photos/105523546@N07/sets/72157636946064626
Sponsors include Red Bull, Kona Brewing, Tommy Bahama, Conley Subaru, Sports Authority, Starboard,University Town Center, Ice Pods, Boga Paddleboards, Brown & Brown Insurance, Board Balance, Hovie SUP, State Farm, Gecko’s, Lazy Bunz, The Compound, SUPreme, TunaSkin, Perception Management, Heritage Family Chiropractic, Sweet Waterwear, Boga Yoga, Live Watersports, Chasers and the Sarasota County Sports Commission.
The races this year benefit Suncoast Waterkeeper, a non-profit environmental organization licensed in Florida dedicated to protecting and restoring the Florida Suncoast’s waterways through enforcement, fieldwork, advocacy, and environmental education.
For more information and to register go to http://www.SarasotaSUPSeries.com.