Welcomes Families, Displays Historic Public Art Installation
WHAT: Grand Opening of The Trio at ENCORE!, a 207,583 square-foot multi-family collection of three buildings in the heart of this master-planned, urban mixed-use redevelopment community in Downtown Tampa. ENCORE! is a public-private partnership between the Banc of America Community Development Corp. (BACDC) and the Tampa Housing Authority (THA).
Includes ribbon cutting, live jazz music, and guided tours of The Trio. Also to feature the first major public art installation at ENCORE! entitled The Gift of Gathering Remembrances. This trio of hand-carved, ceramic tile murals created by artist Natalie Blake is a tribute to the vibrant musical heritage and rich history of this downtown area.
· Representative Betty Reed
· Frank Reddick, Tampa City Council
· Bob McDonaugh, City of Tampa, Economic Opportunities Administrator
· Dr. Hazel Harvey, Chair, Tampa Housing Authority Board
· Robert Shimberg, Vice Chair, Tampa Housing Authority Board
· Jerome Ryans, President/CEO, Tampa Housing Authority
· Bill Goede, Bank of America’s Tampa Bay President
· Julius Davis, President, Volt Air Engineering; City of Tampa Public Art Committee
· Jose Cintron, Director, Department of Housing and Urban Development – Miami office
· Alesia Scott-Ford, HUD Jacksonville
· Saul Ramirez, President/CEO National Association of Housing and Redevelopment Officials (NAHRO)
· Representatives from offices of Senator Bill Nelson and Congresswoman Kathy Castor
WHEN: Tuesday, July 15, 2014
WHERE: The Trio at ENCORE!
1101 Ray Charles Blvd.
About The Trio at ENCORE!
- One 6-story, and two 4-story buildings with 141 units of 1,2,3 and 4-bedroom floor plans
- Second multi-family phase on the site
- Architect: Baker Barrios Architects, Inc.
- General Contractor: CORE Construction Services
- Total development costs: $29,000,000
- Silver LEED®-certified building applicant
- Square footage: 207,583 gross building square footage
- Amenities include a spectacular swimming pool plus movie theater, fitness center, library, game rooms and internet café
- Unbeatable location, steps from downtown’s business district, popular attractions and close to I-275 and I-4.
Spanning 12 city blocks and 40+ acres just north of downtown where Cass Street meets Nebraska Avenue, ENCORE! is a master-planned, urban mixed-use redevelopment venture between the Banc of America Community Development Corp. and the Tampa Housing Authority. A $425 million project expected to be under construction for the next 5 to 7 years, ENCORE! is named in honor of the rich musical history of Downtown Tampa’s Central Avenue in its heyday – where Tampa’s historic Central Avenue once boomed with businesses and thrived as a music district where jazz legends penned songs and performed often.
Once complete, more than 2,500 people will call ENCORE! home. Already, The Ella at ENCORE! welcomed residents and is 100% occupied. The Reed at ENCORE! is currently under construction, and The Tempo at ENCORE! will soon be under construction.
About the Public Art, The Gift of Gathering Remembrances
The Gift of Gathering Remembrances is the first major public art installation at ENCORE!, where Tampa’s historic Central Avenue once boomed with innovative businesses and thrived as a music district. It’s where Ray Charles recorded his first song, Tampa resident Hank Ballard discovered the dance move and wrote the song “The Twist” later made famous by Chubby Checker, and legendary jazz artists Ella Fitzgerald, Duke Ellington, Billie Holiday and Cab Calloway visited often to perform. This public art is made possible by the developers of The Trio at ENCORE! – Banc of America Community Development Corporation and the Tampa Housing Authority – and their commitment to the Downtown Tampa community, in partnership with the
City of Tampa’s Art Programs Division, whose mission is to develop and facilitate free access to artistic excellence through programming and partnerships.
Together, BACDC and THA are demonstrating their overall commitment to the revitalization of distressed neighborhoods within an urban core to attract additional outside investment by creating ENCORE!, a vibrant, sustainable community in Downtown Tampa.
About the Banc of America Community Development Corporation
BACDC, the country’s oldest, largest and most productive bank-owned community development corporation, is committed to the development of high quality, mixed-income, mixed-use urban neighborhoods that act as a catalyst to stabilize and revitalize communities. ENCORE! is one of many redevelopments around the country that illustrate BACDC’s ability to structure complex financing transactions that include significant public support, including various federal, state and local grants.
About the Tampa Housing Authority
THA was incorporated in 1939, develops and manages mixed-income rental housing opportunities to more than 21,000 residents in the Tampa Bay Area, as well as administers Housing Assistance Payments to an additional 45,000 households in the State of Florida and Virgin Islands.