Brandon, Florida (May 19, 2014) – Recently, Brandon Regional Hospital’s H2U membership received a visit from Henry Weins, Brandon’s Director of Food and Nutritional Services and Susan Alverio, Manager of Dietitian Services for HCA West Florida Division. They presented a cooking demonstration and health talk. Henry Weins cooked up a batch of healthy food consisting of asparagus and chicken salad with orange dressing along with linguine with shrimp/salmon and asparagus with basil dressing. The dressings themselves were made from scratch.
Henry used heart healthy ingredients such as buttermilk and light mayonnaise for the basil dressing. The vegetables – peppers and asparagus – were grilled.
Susan Alverio spoke about the health benefits of the seasonings such as basil which is considered one of the healthiest herbs. It’s best when fresh, exuding a sweet, earthy aroma that indicates not only the promise of pleasantly pungent flavor, but an impressive list of nutrients. Vitamin K, essential for blood clotting, is one of them. Just two tablespoons of basil provides 29 percent of the daily recommended value of vitamin K.
Basil also provides vitamin A, which contains beta-carotenes, powerful antioxidants that protect the cells lining a number of numerous body structures, including the blood vessels, from free radical damage. This helps prevent cholesterol in blood from oxidizing, helping to prevent atherosclerosis, heart attacks, and stroke.
Susan also discussed limiting the salt as we get older, as it can raise blood pressure. She warned the group to be careful of the “fake” salts because they are high in other ingredients which can affect the kidneys. She stated that an ingredient such as Mrs. Dash is a good substitute.
Thirty members attended the demonstration. For information about Brandon Regional Hospital’s H2U program and to become a member call 813-684-3316.
Chef Henry Weins and Susan Alverio are available for community health related demonstrations. If your organization would like to book their services please call Brandon Regional Marketing at 813.571-5105 for availability.
Photo1: Henry Weins, Director of Food & Nutritional Services at Brandon Regional Hospital, presents live cooking demonstration.
Photo 2: Susan Alverio, Manager of Dietitian Services for HCA West Florida Division, talks to members of Brandon Regional Hospital’s H2U while they are enjoying food prepared by Chef Henry Weins.
About Brandon Regional Hospital
Brandon Regional Hospital is a proud member of the nation’s leading provider of healthcare services. BRH is a 398-acute care facility which includes a 25-bed Behavioral Health Center. BRH holds the following certifications:
· Certification as a Primary Stroke Center by The Joint Commission.
· The Bariatric Center of Excellence award by the American Society of the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery.
· The Brandon Regional Hospital Echocardiography Lab has been awarded a three-year term of accreditation in the area of adult transthoracic by the Intersocietal Commission for the Accreditation of Echocardiography Laboratories (ICAEL).
In addition, BRH offers quality patient care services including:
· The Women’s Center at Brandon Regional Hospital, which includes The Baby Suites, Level III NICU (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit), and new in-patient rooms for gynecology and anti-partum patients.
· The Reflux Center, which has developed a comprehensive approach for the diagnosis and treatment of acid reflux disease by combining highly skilled physicians and the latest technology to provide effective solutions.
· The Behavioral Health Center a 25 bed unit which emphasizes the importance of instilling hope with group and individual psychotherapy, medication assessment, psycho-educational group, family support and education groups, and interventions designed to guide the mind, body, and spirit to recovery.
· The Heart & Vascular Center offer the latest diagnoses and treatment options in neurological, spine and cardiac conditions.
Brandon Regional Hospital has recently initiated a program to only perform elective deliveries at 39 weeks gestation unless medically indicated. Although this initiative is becoming wide-spread throughout the nation, Brandon Regional Hospital and HCA implemented this initiative before it became a national movement.
Brandon Regional Hospital is located at 119 Oakfield Drive, Brandon, Florida 33511. For more information contact Patricia Montgomery, 813-571-5105 or go to BrandonRegionalHospital.com.