Spring Hill, Florida (May 16, 2014) –Oak Hill Hospital announces that its Pediatric ER – the area’s only dedicated Pediatric ER – will conduct a Pediatric Safety Fair on June 7 from 10 am to 1 pm near the Emergency Department on the campus of Oak Hill Hospital at 11375 Cortez Boulevard, State Road 50 in Spring Hill. The Safety Fair will feature the following highlights:
· Fire Safety
· Poisonous snake identification
· See a fire truck, ambulance and helicopter, up close
· Tour the PEDS Emergency Care Center
· Sheriff’s Department
· YMCA water safety
· Nutrition facts and fun
· Meet our dedicated ER pediatricians and community based pediatricians
· Teddy Bear Clinic
· FREE food and drinks
· Health Department
· LifeSouth Blood Mobile – Give the gift if LIFE!
· Early Learning Coalition of Pasco & Hernando Counties—free books & activities for kids
· Hernando County Public Library
Parents and children will have the opportunity to meet the dedicated Emergency Care pediatricians and community-based pediatricians on staff at Oak Hill Hospital. For more information contact Oak Hill Hospital’s at 352-596-6632 in Hernando or 352-628-6441 in Citrus or to OakHillHospital.com.
About the Pediatric ER
Oak Hill Hospital’s Pediatric ER offers family-centered care which encourages parents to participate in their child’s care. The Pediatric ER is characterized by the fact that it is one of only a few hospitals in the nation to be staffed with 100% board certified emergency nurses. Whenever possible, the Pediatric ER will use “ouch-less” techniques when delivering care to reduce a child’s anxiety. These may include:
· Oral fluids instead of an IV when safe and appropriate
· Special numbing medicine on the child’s skin to reduce pain from a needle
· “Bundling tests” such as blood drawing and IV insertion, into one “stick”
· Sedative medications for more serious procedures, such as setting a broken bone
· All procedures are performed under the direct supervision of an emergency medicine physician
Another feature is the use of the eBroselow system, which confirms exact medication dosage based on factors including a child’s age and weight. Physically the Pediatric ER contains eight private rooms painted in colors such as “electric lime,” “lemon twist,” and “gutsy grape,” child-friendly décor as well as a family-centered activity room with age appropriate activities for patients and family. Most importantly the Pediatric ER features a dedicated and secure waiting area. When needed a four bed pediatric in-patient unit is located right upstairs.
About Oak Hill Hospital
Oak Hill Hospital has been serving the Nature Coast since 1984. It is the largest medical facility in Hernando and Citrus Counties (262 acute care beds), is the area’s largest private employer, and offers Hernando County’s only comprehensive cardiovascular program, including open heart surgery. Approximately 370 physicians, almost 1100 associates, and over 250 volunteers comprise Oak Hill Hospital’s healthcare delivery team.
Oak Hill has demonstrated its healthcare leadership by achieving distinction as the:
· First hospital in the area to offer a Graduate Medical Education (GME) program with a Residency in Internal Medicine.
· First hospital in the area to offer an on-site Critical Care Intensivist program to provide around the clock intensive care in the 36 bed ICU of the hospital’s North Tower.
· First and only open heart surgery hospital in Hernando County.
· First hospital in our region to receive the Women’s Choice Award for Emergency Care excellence by WomenCertified, home of the Women’s Choice Awards.
· First accredited Chest Pain Center with PCI (heart catheterization) and the first hospital in the area to achieve Heart Failure accreditation by the Society of Chest Pain Centers.
· First and only advanced level primary stroke center in Hernando County to be fully accredited by The Joint Commission.
· First comprehensive Women’s Imaging Center in Hernando County and the first imaging center offering digital mammography with computer aided detection.
· First hospital in the area to be recognized as an accredited cancer institute by the Commission on Cancer (CoC) of the American College of Surgeons (ACoS).
· First hospital in the region to offer a comprehensive Orthopaedic & Spine Institute and first to achieve national certification by The Joint Commission for its hip & knee replacement and spinal fusion programs.
· First in the nation to have achieved 100% Board Certified Emergency Nurses, CEN’s, for which it was honored by the Emergency Nurses Association and first in Florida to receive the prestigious Lantern Award in ER nursing for exemplifying exceptional and innovative performance in the core areas of leadership, practice, education, advocacy, and research.
· Now offers the most advanced robotic assisted surgical system: the newly refined da Vinci® Si Surgical System.
· Named by The Joint Commission as one of the nation’s Top Performers on Key Quality Measures in Heart Attack, Heart Failure, Pneumonia, and Surgical Care.
It is located at 11375 Cortez Boulevard, Spring Hill, 1.9 miles east of US 19 on State Road 50. For more information about this release, please contact Richard W. Linkul, Director of Marketing, at 352-597-6383 or Richard.Linkul@HCAHealthcare.com. In Citrus call 352-628-6441. For more information about Oak Hill Hospital, visit our website at OakHillHospital.com, or like us on Facebook.