Attached photo: Vera Koehnke, center, President of St. Vincent De Paul Society, poses with donation from the West Pasco Celiac Support Group. From left to Right: Barbara FitzGerald, member of the group, Vera Koehnke and Joanne Snyder, Chairperson of the group.
West Pasco Celiac Support Group conducts meeting at Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point on the first Saturday of every month from 10 am to 11:30 am at the Shoreline Cafeteria Conference Room at RMCBP at 14000 Fivay Road, Hudson, Florida 34667. Meetings are open to the public and include recipe demonstrations of a gluten free diet.
The West Pasco Celiac Support Group is dedicated to increasing awareness of celiac disease in west Pasco. Celiac disease affects one percent of healthy, average Americans. However, 97% of those who affected are undiagnosed.
What is celiac disease? Celiac disease is a digestive disease that damages the small intestine and interferes with absorption of nutrients from food. People who have celiac disease cannot tolerate gluten protein and wheat, rye, and barley. Gluten is found mainly in foods but may also be found in every day products such as medicines, vitamins, and lip balms. When people with celiac disease eat foods or use products containing gluten, their immune system responds by damaging or destroying villi – the tiny, fingerlike protrusions lining the small intestine. Villi normally allow nutrients from food to be absorbed through the walls of the small intestine into the blood stream. Without healthy villi, a person becomes malnourished, no matter how much food one eats.
About Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point
Regional Medical Center Bayonet has been serving the community since 1981. We are a 290-bed acute care hospital located in Hudson, FL and home of the nationally acclaimed Heart Institute. We have more than 350 physicians, 1,264 employees and 500 volunteers on our integrated healthcare delivery team.
Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point has achieved distinction in the following areas:
· Level II Trauma Center
· 2011 and 2012 Top Performing Hospital for Key Quality Measures for heart attack, heart failure, pneumonia, and surgical care – The Joint Commission
· Certified Advance Primary Stroke Center – Joint Commission
· Heart & Stroke Champions Award Winner 1998 – 2011
· MRI, CT, Ultrasound, and Nuclear Medicine Accredited – American College of Radiology
· Approved, with Commendation, Community Cancer Program – American College of Surgeons.
· 10 Joint Commission Disease-Specific Certifications: primary stroke center, acute myocardial infarction, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), coronary artery bypass graft, heart failure, joint replacement hip, joint replacement knee, lung cancer, pneumonia, wound care!
· Awarded Hospital Safety Score of “A” in four consecutive rankings by The Leapfrog Group.
· Recipient of the 2013 American Heart Association (AHA)/American Stroke Association’s Get With The Guidelines® Gold Performance Achievement Award in both heart failure and stroke.
Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point is located at 14000 Fivay Road, Hudson, FL. 34667. For additional information on Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point visit www.rmchealth.com or www.heartoftampa.comor visit us on Facebook.