Hudson, Florida (May 15, 2014) – Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point announces that on Friday, May 9, 2014, its nursing staff celebrated the “Blessing on the Hands” by Rev. Jack Long, Chaplain. The ceremony was held outside the hospital by the statue of Dr. Thomas Frist, Sr., renowned humanitarian and founder of HCA.
The “Blessing of the Hands” is a brief nondenominational ceremony that symbolizes nursing commitment to care, healing, and relief of pain and suffering. The blessing unites nurses that share the “caring journey.” This ceremony is done around the world for very special occasions. The ceremony recognizes the symbolic work of hands in the relief of pain, the prevention of disease and the comforting of the sick.
“It is quite often in our profession that we take the role of our hands for granted,” said Tanya Simpson, Chief Nursing Officer. “Hands are extremely important in the delivery of clinical care to patients of all ages, bringing new life into the world and offering comfort to those in pain,” she added.
“Nurses attending such ceremonies find that the blessing of the hands reminds them of their deep commitment to and personal involvement in the healing process,” said Chaplain Jack Long. “This spiritual approach recognizes and honors them for their compassionate work.” he added.
1. RMCBP Chaplain Jack Long pours water from the chalice on the hands of Janet Brown, Director of the hospital’s Neuro Spine Unit
2. Close up of the pouring of the water during the Blessing of the Hands ceremony.
About Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point
Regional Medical Center Bayonet has been serving the community since 1981. We are a 290-bed acute care hospital located in Hudson, FL and home of the nationally acclaimed Heart Institute. We have more than 350 physicians, 1,264 employees and 500 volunteers on our integrated healthcare delivery team.
Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point has achieved distinction in the following areas:
· Level II Trauma Center
· 2011 and 2012 Top Performing Hospital for Key Quality Measures for heart attack, heart failure, pneumonia, and surgical care – The Joint Commission
· Certified Advance Primary Stroke Center – Joint Commission
· Heart & Stroke Champions Award Winner 1998 – 2011
· MRI, CT, Ultrasound, and Nuclear Medicine Accredited – American College of Radiology
· Approved, with Commendation, Community Cancer Program – American College of Surgeons.
· 10 Joint Commission Disease-Specific Certifications: primary stroke center, acute myocardial infarction, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), coronary artery bypass graft, heart failure, joint replacement hip, joint replacement knee, lung cancer, pneumonia, wound care!
· Awarded Hospital Safety Score of “A” in four consecutive rankings by The Leapfrog Group.
· Recipient of the 2013 American Heart Association (AHA)/American Stroke Association’s Get With The Guidelines® Gold Performance Achievement Award in both heart failure and stroke.
Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point is located at 14000 Fivay Road, Hudson, FL. 34667. For additional information on Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point visit www.rmchealth.com or www.heartoftampa.comor visit us on Facebook