Tampa Union Station to Host Celebration of Railroading May 10
Tampa (FL), May 3—Friends of Tampa Union Station is announcing new features for National Train Day, which will be held at historic Tampa Union Station, Saturday, May 10.
The National Train Day celebration runs from 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Admission isf ree. The schedule for NationalT rain Day inT ampa features:
· Railroad equipment displays! Amtrak and private rail equipment open for tours!
· Operating model trains! HO–,G-a nd N– scale trains from the suncoast Model Railroad Club,The H.B.
Plant Railroad Historical Society, and others!
· Live Music! Singer Ray Chiaramonte and the Andrews Sisters!
· Food Trucks! Big J Smokehouse BarBQue and Der Wurstwagen!
· History and railroading exhibits! Tampa–Hillsborough County Public Library/Burgert Brothers Photograph Collection, Operation Lifesaver, the Florida Coalition of Rail Passengers, Atlantic Coast Line & Seaboard Air Line Railroads Historical Society, Tampa Bay History Center, City of Tampa Historic Preservation and Urban Design, Florida Railroad Museum ,Friends of Tampa Union Station and more!
National Train Day celebrates America‘s love for trains with events across the country. This year marks the seventh annual celebration with large-scale,family-friendly events that provide opportunities to explore interactive, educational exhibits that bring to life the rich narrative of how trains have transformed America and will continue to do so in the future.
National Train Day marks145 years of connecting travelers coast to coast and commemorates the day the first transcontinental railroad was created. On May 10,1869, in Promontory Summit, Utah, the golden spike was driven into the final tie that joined 1,776 miles of the Central Pacific and Union Pacific railways, transforming America by creating the nation‘s first transcontinental railroad.
Thisyear’sNationalTrainDayat TampaUnionStationalsocommemoratesthe16thanniversaryofUnionStation’s restorationandreopeningtothepublicin1998. MoreinformationonNationalTrainDay2014canbefoundat Friendsof TampaUnionStationwebsite, www.tampaunionstation.com.
Friendsof TampaUnionStationisanall-volunteerorganizationwhichadvocatesforthepreservationofhistoric TampaUnionStationasbotha landmarkandtransportationasset.Theorganizationwas foundedin2008bya groupofcitizenseagertopreserveTampaUnionStation’scolorfulpastandtoassureits future.
Friendsof TampaUnionStationhasestablisheda permanentendowmentfundfortheongoingrestorationof TampaUnionStationattheCommunityFoundationofTampaBayandraisesfundsforitthroughanengravedbrick programandotherinitiatives.
· Railroad& IndustrialFederalCreditUnion
· Tindale–Oliver& Associates