All Aboard for National Train Day!
Tampa Union Station to Host Celebration of Railroading May 10
Tampa (FL), May 3—Friends of Tampa Union Station is announcing new features for National Train Day, which will be held at historic Tampa Union Station, Saturday, May 10.
The National Train Day celebration runs from 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Admission is free.
The schedule for National Train Day in Tampa features:
• Railroad equipment displays! Amtrak and private rail equipment open for tours!
• Operating model trains! HO-, G- and N-scale trains from the Suncoast Model Railroad Club, The H.B. Plant Railroad Historical Society, and others!
• Live Music! Singer Ray Chiaramonte and the Andrews Sisters!
• Food Trucks! Big J Smokehouse Bar B Que and Der Wurstwagen!
• History and railroading exhibits! Tampa-Hillsborough County Public Library/Burgert Brothers Photograph Collection, Operation Lifesaver, the Florida Coalition of Rail Passengers, Atlantic Coast Line & Seaboard Air Line Railroads Historical Society, Tampa Bay History Center, City of Tampa Historic Preservation and Urban Design, Florida Railroad Museum, Friends of Tampa Union Station and more!
National Train Day celebrates America‘s love for trains with events across the country. This year marks the seventh annual celebration with large-scale, family-friendly events that provide opportunities to explore interactive, educational exhibits that bring to life the rich narrative of how trains have transformed America and will continue to do so in the future.
National Train Day marks 145 years of connecting travelers coast to coast and commemorates the day the first transcontinental railroad was created. On May 10, 1869, in Promontory Summit, Utah, the golden spike was driven into the final tie that joined 1,776 miles of the Central Pacific and Union Pacific railways, transforming America by creating the nation‘s first transcontinental railroad.
This year’s National Train Day at Tampa Union Station also commemorates the 16th anniversary of Union Station’s restoration and reopening to the public in 1998. More information on National Train Day 2014 can be found at Friends of Tampa Union Station website, www.tampaunionstation.com.
Friends of Tampa Union Station is an all-volunteer organization which advocates for the preservation of historic Tampa Union Station as both a landmark and transportation asset. The organization was founded in 2008 by a group of citizens eager to preserve Tampa Union Station’s colorful past and to assure its future.
Friends of Tampa Union Station has established a permanent endowment fund for the ongoing restoration of Tampa Union Station at the Community Foundation of Tampa Bay and raises funds for it through an engraved brick program and other initiatives.
• Tampa Bay Times
• Bright House Networks
• Hillsborough County
• Tampa Downtown Partnership
• NorthStar Bank
• Ackerman Jewelers
• Jason Ackerman Foundation
• McCloud Transportation + Associates
• Railroad & Industrial Federal Credit Union
• Swope, Rodante P.A.
• Tindale-Oliver & Associates
With Thanks To:
• City of Tampa
Friends of Tampa Union Station
Friends of Tampa Union Station
# # #