Tampa, FL (May 1, 2014) – The Tampa Metropolitan Area YMCA is offering day camp to give kids and teens in Hillsborough and East Pasco counties an adventurous, active and healthy summer. YMCA camp programs offer children fun and unique experiences with an opportunity to explore the outdoors, meet new friends, discover new interests and create memories that last a lifetime. Tampa Y camp registration is now open for traditional day camp with theme weeks, horseback riding, fishing, paintball and specialty camps including science, cooking, sports, dance, gymnastics, drama and much more.
Summer is the ideal time for kids to get up, get out and explore. But, for some kids summer means no access to recreational and educational activities to help them learn, grow and thrive during out-of-school time. As a result, some kids can experience learning loss and gain weight twice as fast than during the school year. Attending Tampa YMCA summer camp is a wonderful opportunity for kids to keep their minds and bodies active.
“YMCA summer camp supports the social-emotional, cognitive development and physical well-being of kids,” says Communications Director Lalita Llerena. “In our day camp, kids are in a welcoming environment where they can belong, build relationships, develop character and achieve – discovering their potential. We really encourage parents to give their kids the gift of camp so every child can benefit from the experience.”
The Tampa Y believes there are five reasons why children and teens should attend summer camp:
1. ADVENTURE: Summer camp is all about a wide variety of fun adventures and new experiences. YMCA camps have a new adventure for every child and teen. Click here for details.
2. HEALTHY FUN: Day camps offer fun, stimulating activities that engage the body and mind, and also help children and teens learn the importance of nutrition to help improve their healthy eating habits.
3. PERSONAL GROWTH: While being away from the routine back home, youth have a chance to learn new skills, and develop confidence and independence by taking on new responsibilities and challenges. Camps offer cognitive learning and social-emotional development opportunities for achievement.
4. NEW FRIENDSHIPS: Amidst the fun of camp games, songs, swimming, field trips and talent shows, campers meet new friends and strengthen existing friendships. The relationships formed at camp are important and lasting for many kids.
5. MEMORIES: Summer camp is an unforgettable experience that will give each camper memories (and camp traditions) that will last a lifetime. Kids return to school with plenty of camp stories to share!
To ensure all children have the chance to experience camp, the Y offers financial assistance to those in need. All you have to do is ask if you qualify. To register for camp or for more information, head to www.tampaymca.org or click here.
About the Tampa Y
The Tampa Metropolitan Area YMCA is a cause-driven 4-star charity and one of the area’s leading nonprofits, strengthening Hillsborough and East Pasco communities through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. Across the Association, 19 facilities engage more than 167,000 men, women and children — regardless of age, income or background — to nurture the potential of children and teens, improve our community’s health and well-being, and provide opportunities to give back and support neighbors. The Tampa Y has long-standing relationships and physical presence not just to promise, but to deliver, lasting personal and social change. www.tampaymca.org