St. Petersburg, FL. March 24, 2014: St. Petersburg Preservation’s popular Saturday morning and first Friday lunch time walking tours wrap up with the heat of summer coming with April tour offerings. A monthly summer evening tour will be offered starting in May. Tours are free to SPP members and $5 for others.
Friday, April 4 – Downtown Lunch Time Tour – Take an hour stroll thru downtown with preservationist Emily Elwyn while enjoying her keen insight on the ‘Burg’s history & architecture! Learn about the role of “First Block” anchored by the Detroit Hotel and dating to 1888, the role of women in a developing town and how the 1920’s boom changed the city. Tour starts at noon in front of Café del Mar at 243 Central Ave.
Saturday April 5- “Original” Downtown Tour – This tour is always a favorite with downtown’s incredible collection of buildings & architectural styles lending the city its special sense of place. Participants will stroll through the Downtown St. Petersburg National Register Historic District seeing and learning about the city’s history, its stately churches, 1920’s boom era hotels and more. The tour includes a special “insider” stop in Christ United Methodist Church, designed by architect Archie Parish, who was also the architect for the historic YMCA building. Tour starts in front of Café del Mar at 243 Central Ave at 10 am.
Saturday April 12 – Waterfront Tour – Learn about the civic visionaries who transformed the ‘Burg’s working waterfront into one of the largest waterfront park systems in the country, see some of the best of the past along with some of the newest in architecture. And, one never knows if the aging process can be slowed down but find out when the tour stops at the Fountain of Youth! Tour begins at 10 am at the Saturday Morning Market on 1st St. at 2nd Ave. S., under the trees just north of the Market music stage (230 1st St. S.). Grab a coffee & bakery goodie at the Market before the tour starts!
Saturday April 19 – Old Southeast Neighborhood Tour – The third Saturday Neighborhood Tour will visit the “funky” Old Southeast Neighborhood. This beautiful area, with Tampa Bay providing a backdrop, includes 12.5 acre Lassing Park, named for Judge Robert Lassing who donated the property to the city in 1924. The neighborhood is known for its eclectic styles of homes and its hex block sidewalks. Tour starts at 10 am at Lassing Park at 20th Ave. S. & Beach Drive.
Saturday April 26- Westward Ho to Historic Kenwood – This tour starts at 10 am at Craftsman House Gallery, 2955 Central Ave., an “airplane” styled bungalow and the original model home for the Kenwood neighborhood, developed by Charles Hall in 1913. Today, Kenwood has one of the largest concentrations of historic bungalow homes in the country and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Besides the Craftsman House, tour participants will also have an opportunity to tour inside another of the neighborhood’s restored bungalows.