Spring Hill, Florida (March 18, 2014) – Oak Hill Hospital announces that Santosh Potdar, MBBS FACS has received a three-year appointment as Cancer Liaison Physician for the cancer program at Oak Hill Hospital. Cancer Liaison Physicians are an integral part of cancer programs accredited by the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer (CoC).
Dr. Potdar is among a national network of more than 1,500 volunteer physicians who are responsible for providing leadership and direction to establish, maintain, and support their facilities’ cancer programs. Dr. Potdar, who has a significant interest in the diagnosis and treatment of patients with malignant diseases, is a member of the multidisciplinary cancer committee at Oak Hill Hospital, Spring Hill, FL, an institution that is dedicated to facilitating the delivery of comprehensive quality cancer care.
Cancer Liaison Physicians are responsible for evaluating, interpreting, and reporting their facilities’ performance data through the National Cancer Data Base (NCDB) and facilitating quality improvement initiatives based on data findings. In addition, the Cancer Liaison Physician is responsible for leading CoC initiatives within the cancer program and collaborating with agencies such as the American Cancer Society on behalf of the hospital. The CoC collects data from its accredited cancer programs and provides tools for these programs to facilitate analysis of patterns of diagnosis, treatment, and quality of care for patients treated at the hospital.
The National Cancer Data Base (NCDB), a joint program of the Commission on Cancer (CoC) of the American College of Surgeons (ACoS) and the American Cancer Society (ACS), is a nationwide oncology outcomes database for more than 1,500 Commission-accredited cancer programs in the United States and Puerto Rico. Some 70 percent of all newly diagnosed cases of cancer in the United States are captured at the institutional level and reported to the NCDB. The Cancer Liaison Physician works with the cancer program staff to facilitate the submission, presentation, use, and interpretation of NCDB data. Analyzing and sharing these data with the cancer committee can have a positive impact on cancer patient care at the facility.
The CoC is a consortium of professional organizations dedicated to improving survival and quality of life for cancer patients through standard-setting, prevention, research, education, and monitoring of comprehensive quality care.
For more information on the Cancer Liaison Program contact email@example.com, the Commission on Cancer at the American College of Surgeons, 633 N. Saint Clair St., Chicago, IL 60611, 312-202-5085; or visit http://www.facs.org/cancer.
Dr. Potdar is board certified in surgery and a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons. He completed his residency in general surgery at Allegheny General Hospital in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. He received his medical degree at Mahatma Gandhi Medical College & Research Institute, M.Y. Hospital in Indore, M.P. India and completed his residency in general surgery (Masters of Surgery) at the same facility. Dr. Potdar also completed a fellowship at the Division of Transplant Surgery at Thomas E. Starzl Transplantation Institute, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center and Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
Dr. Potdar has extensive experience in general surgery which also includes complex general surgery procedures and transplantation of liver, kidney and pancreas transplantation. Dr. Potdar served as senior surgeon and a staff member of the highly prestigious Christian Medical Center in Vellore, India.
Attached photo: Santosh Potdar, MD, FACS
About Oak Hill Hospital:
Oak Hill Hospital has been serving the Nature Coast since 1984. It is the largest medical facility in Hernando and Citrus Counties (262 acute care beds), is one of the area’s largest private employers, and offers Hernando County’s only comprehensive cardiovascular program, including open heart surgery. Approximately 300 physicians, 950 associates, and over 350 volunteers comprise Oak Hill Hospital’s healthcare delivery team.
Oak Hill has demonstrated its healthcare leadership by achieving distinction as the:
· First hospital in the area to offer a Graduate Medical Education (GME) program with a Residency in Internal Medicine.
· First hospital in the area to offer a Critical Care Intensivist program to provide around the clock intensive care in the 36 bed ICU of the hospital’s North Tower.
· First and only open heart surgery hospital in Hernando County.
· First hospital in our region to receive the Women’s Choice Award for Emergency Care excellence by WomenCertified, home of the Women’s Choice Awards.
· First accredited Chest Pain Center with PCI (heart catheterization) and the first hospital in the area to achieve Heart Failure accreditation by the Society of Chest Pain Centers.
· First and only advanced level primary stroke center in Hernando County to be fully accredited by The Joint Commission.
· First comprehensive Women’s Imaging Center in Hernando County and the first imaging center offering digital mammography with computer aided detection.
· First hospital in the area to be recognized as an accredited cancer institute by the Commission on Cancer (CoC) of the American College of Surgeons (ACoS).
· First hospital in the region to offer a comprehensive Orthopaedic & Spine Institute and first to achieve national certification by The Joint Commission for its hip & knee replacement and spinal fusion programs.
· First in the nation to have achieved 100% Board Certified Emergency Nurses, CEN’s, for which it was honored by the Emergency Nurses Association and first in Florida to receive the prestigious Lantern Award in ER nursing for exemplifying exceptional and innovative performance in the core areas of leadership, practice, education, advocacy, and research.
· Now offers the most advanced robotic assisted surgical system: the newly refined da Vinci® Si Surgical System.
· Named by The Joint Commission as one of the nation’s Top Performers on Key Quality Measures in Heart Attack, Heart Failure, Pneumonia, and Surgical Care.
It is located at 11375 Cortez Boulevard, Spring Hill, 1.9 miles east of US 19 on State Road 50. For more information about this release, please contact Richard W. Linkul, Director of Marketing, at 352-597-6383 or Richard.Linkul@HCAHealthcare.com. In Citrus call 352-628-6441. For more information about Oak Hill Hospital, visit our website at OakHillHospital.com, or like us on Facebook.