Hudson/Tampa Bay, Florida – March 10, 2014 – Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point, home of the nationally acclaimed Heart Institute, announced today that Cardiothoracic Surgeons and Electrophysiologists (Cardiologists who specialize in treating abnormal heart rhythms) have combined their unique skills to provide even the most difficult-to-treat patients with a new treatment option for atrial fibrillation.
The new minimally invasive treatment option is known as the Convergent Procedure. The procedure begins with a cardiothoracic surgeon navigating a special catheter through a small incision in the abdomen, allowing access to the posterior of the atrium under direct visualization. Then using radiofrequency (focused heat), the surgeon produces complete linear lesions (scar tissue) on the outside of the heart to block abnormal electrical signals.
The Electrophysiologist then threads an ablation catheter through the groin area to reach inside the upper left chamber of the heart to ensure the lesions are complete and connected utilizing EP diagnostics to confirm that abnormal electrical signals have been interrupted.
Performed at the hospital’s Arrhythmia Center of Florida, this multidisciplinary Heart Team approach allows EPs to utilize best practices and standardize new procedures, giving them the ability to isolate the heart safely and effectively. The Convergent Procedure provides a new minimally invasive treatment option for longtime atrial fibrillation patients, offering shorter recovery times to get patients back to enjoying a better quality of life
Participating Physicians of the Convergent Procedure Team include:
About Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point
Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point has been serving the community since 1981. We are a 290-bed acute care hospital located in Hudson, FL and home of the nationally acclaimed Heart Institute. We have more than 350 physicians, 900 employees and 500 volunteers on our integrated healthcare delivery team.
Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point has achieved distinction in the following areas:
- Level II Trauma Center
- Top Performing Hospital for Key Quality Measures – recognized as one of the nation’s top performing hospitals for heart attack, heart failure, pneumonia, and surgical care by the Joint Commission
- Certified Advance Primary Stroke Center – Joint Commission
- Heart & Stroke Champions Award Winner 1998 – 2011
- MRI, CT, Ultrasound, and Nuclear Medicine Accredited – American College of Radiology
- Approved, with Commendation, Community Cancer Program – American College of Surgeons.
- 10 Joint Commission Disease-Specific Certifications: primary stroke center, acute myocardial infarction, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), coronary artery bypass graft, heart failure, joint replacement hip, joint replacement knee, lung cancer, pneumonia, wound care!
- Awarded Hospital Safety Score of “A” in four consecutive rankings by The Leapfrog Group.
- Recipient of the 2013 American Heart Association (AHA)/American Stroke Association’s Get With The Guidelines® Gold Performance Achievement Award in both heart failure and stroke.
Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point is located at 14000 Fivay Road, Hudson, FL. 34667. For additional information on Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point visit www.rmchealth.com or www.heartoftampa.com or visit us on Facebook.