Military tournament tickets available at www.birdiesforthebrave.sheerid.com/ValsparChampionship
PALM HARBOR, Fla. – The PGA TOUR’s Valspar Championship presented by BB&T, March 10-16, 2014, at Innisbrook Resort & Golf Club in Palm Harbor, will express gratitude to courageous military members and their families through a variety of military appreciation festivities that will take place during tournament week. Activities will be highlighted by the opportunity for two local combat-wounded service members to be fitted with their own set of brand new customized golf clubs as part of the Callaway Warrior Club Fitting Program, scheduled to take place on the practice facility at Innisbrook on Tuesday, March 11, at 9:30 am.
Callaway Golf hosted 12 fittings for wounded service members in 2012 and 10 in 2013, and plans to conduct 13 fittings in 2014. Part of Birdies for the Brave®, a military outreach initiative proudly supported by the PGA TOUR, the program is designed to assist wounded service members in their rehabilitation, while showing gratitude for their service and sacrifice.
“We feel privileged to work in partnership with Birdies for the Brave and the PGA TOUR to let these American heroes know how much we appreciate everything they have done to help keep America safe and free,” said Nick Raffaele, Vice President Global Sports Marketing, Callaway Golf. “At the same time, golf is an extremely effective tool for helping individuals with injuries rehabilitate, relax, and heal physically, emotionally and psychologically. We look forward to providing our two guests at Valspar with a unique and very memorable experience that will be very therapeutic and help them enjoy the game of golf for many years to come.”
Callaway Warrior Club Fitting participants will include Lloyd Meredith of Spring Hill, FL, who medically retired from the Army in January 2012 following 12 years of dedicated service. He was injured during a tour of duty in Afghanistan, and subsequently spent one year in the Warrior Transition Unit. Meredith has been honored with numerous awards and commendations for his service, including Army Good Conduct Medal (received twice), Nato Medal, National Defense Service Ribbon, Army Service Ribbon, Afghanistan Campaign Star Medal, and the Army Achievement Medal (received twice). He and his wife have three children.
Also participating will be David Vernaza of Orlando, FL, a veteran of Desert Shield/Desert Storm, Operation Joint Endeavor and Restore Hope during his first 10 years with the Navy Seebees.
In 2004, Vernaza was deployed to the Iraqi theater as part of the Tactical Movement Team of Naval Mobil Construction Battalion 14. He sustained shrapnel injuries to his shoulder and leg, and suffers from TBI and neuropathy. Vernaza was medically retired in 2007 and is a Purple Heart recipient. In all, he served more than 17 years with the U.S. Navy.
In addition to participating in the Callaway Warrior Club Fitting experience, both warriors will be invited to attend the Tuesday night pairings party and play in the Wednesday Pro-Am alongside a PGA TOUR player.
Other Birdies for the Brave military outreach activities that are scheduled to be held during the 2014 Valspar Championship presented by BB&T include:
- the opportunity for active duty and Reserve military members, military retirees and their dependents to receive up to eight complimentary tournament tickets each day from Thursday, March 13 through Sunday, March 16 by showing a Department of Defense-issued military ID at the gate along with a military ticket. Veterans can also receive discounted military tickets priced at $20 each for themselves and up to three guests each day. Military tickets can be obtained by visiting www.birdiesforthebrave.sheerid.com/ValsparChampionship and registering online.
- Complimentary or discounted military tickets can then be downloaded from the website for presentation at the gate. A $1 verification fee will be charged for each military ticket downloaded, for both complimentary and discounted tickets.
- While at the tournament, all military guests, including veterans, will be treated to complimentary food and beverages and a relaxing venue for viewing all of the tournament action in the Pinch-A-Penny Birdies for the Brave Patriots’ Outpost, a military-exclusive hospitality chalet located on the 16th green at Innisbrook, the tournament’s official Birdies for the Brave hole.
- From Thursday through Sunday, the pin flag on #16 will be replaced with the American flag and attended by uniformed service members from all five branches of the military. Additionally, as part of its support for Birdies for the Brave, Pinch-A-Penny will be making a donation to military homefront groups for every birdie and eagle made on #16 during tournament competition.
- Other military outreach activities include the opportunity for active duty military members to serve as caddies for TOUR players on the 17th hole during the morning Pro-Am on Wednesday, March 12.
ABOUT BIRDIES FOR THE BRAVE:
Birdies for the Brave (www.birdiesforthebrave.org) is a national military outreach initiative proudly supported by the PGA TOUR. Since 2006, Birdies for the Brave has joined with players, sponsors, donors and fans to raise more than $11 million for nine military homefront groups that are supported by TOUR players, which provide critical programs and services to meet the specialized needs of wounded service members and military families. The program also includes military appreciation activities and special events for military families during TOUR events.