Program to be conducted by Edward Becker, MD, Orthopaedic & Sports Surgeon
Brandon, Florida (February 13, 2014) – The YMCA and Brandon Regional Hospital announce that the Savvy Seniors program will present “Understanding Aches & Pains in Active Seniors” on March 6 at 11 am at The Bridges, 11350 Bloomingdale Avenue, Riverview, Florida 33578.
The program will be presented by Edward Becker, III, MD. Dr Becker is on staff at Brandon Regional Hospital and is board certified in orthopaedic surgery. He will discuss the aches and pains in the active senior and how to prevent and treat them. There will also be some emphasis on shoulder pain (rotator cuff) and meniscus tears.
Dr. Becker is a Baltimore native who graduated Summa Cum Laude and the first in his class with a degree in biological sciences from the University of Maryland in Baltimore. He received his MD from the University of Maryland School of Medicine in Baltimore in 2005, where he received multiple awards for academics and was elected president of Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society. Dr. Becker also completed internship at the Jackson Memorial Hospital Department of Orthopaedics, Miami, Florida, completed residency training at the University of Maryland Department of Orthopaedics in Baltimore and was appointed academic chief resident. He continued his medical training by completing a Fellowship in sports medicine at the prestigious Kerlan-Jobe Orthopaedic Clinic in Los Angeles, California. He holds numerous awards and honors.
Admission is free and a complimentary lunch provided by Chick-fil-A in Brandon will be provided. Seating is limited and reservations are required. For more information and to register call 813-653-1065.
About Brandon Regional Hospital
Brandon Regional Hospital is a proud member of the nation’s leading provider of healthcare services. BRH is a 398-acute care facility which includes a 25-bed Behavioral Health Center. BRH holds the following certifications:
· The first hospital in Hillsborough County to receive accreditation as a Chest Pain Center with PCI from The Society of Chest Pain Centers.
· The three star award for excellence in cardiac surgery – the highest award given by the Society of Thoracic Surgeons.
· Certification as a Primary Stroke Center by The Joint Commission.
· The Bariatric Center of Excellence award by the American Society of the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery.
· The Brandon Regional Hospital Echocardiography Lab has been awarded a three-year term of accreditation in the area of adult transthoracic by the Intersocietal Commission for the Accreditation of Echocardiography Laboratories (ICAEL).
In addition, BRH offers quality patient care services including:
· The Women’s Center at Brandon Regional Hospital, which includes The Baby Suites, Level III NICU (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit), and new in-patient rooms for gynecology and anti-partum patients.
· The Reflux Center, which has developed a comprehensive approach for the diagnosis and treatment of acid reflux disease by combining highly skilled physicians and the latest technology to provide effective solutions.
· The Behavioral Health Center a 25 bed unit which emphasizes the importance of instilling hope with group and individual psychotherapy, medication assessment, psycho-educational group, family support and education groups, and interventions designed to guide the mind, body, and spirit to recovery.
· The Heart & Vascular Center offer the latest diagnoses and treatment options in neurological, spine and cardiac conditions.
Brandon Regional Hospital has recently initiated a program to only perform elective deliveries at 39 weeks gestation unless medically indicated. Although this initiative is becoming wide-spread throughout the nation, Brandon Regional Hospital and HCA implemented this initiative before it became a national movement.
Brandon Regional Hospital is located at 119 Oakfield Drive, Brandon, Florida 33511. For more information contact Patricia Montgomery, 813-571-5105 or go to BrandonRegionalHospital.com.