Spring Hill, Florida (February 17, 2014) – Oak Hill Hospital has announced its Star Associates of the Month of January. Each month hospital associates are chosen in a process that involves nominations and voting by their peers, patients, patient families, and physicians.
This month’s Oak Hill Hospital “Stars” are:
Diane Pisnar, RN, Charge Nurse
Diane initially began her career at Oak Hill Hospital in 2002. She left in 2006 for one year but returned in 2007. She is a charge nurse on night shift and sees her job as greeting new patients as she rounds helping staff, relieving others including the monitor tech and answer questions. She is responsible for starting IVs, doing reports and making assignments. Diane and her husband, James, live in Homosassa. They have a son, Ted Graham, and a daughter, Candy Miechowicz, three granddaughters and one grandson, who all live in northeast Ohio. While Diane misses her family, she does not miss the snow. Diane started her nursing career as a nurse’s aide and then as an LPN in Ohio. She received her RN in 1994. Her nomination came from the daughter of a patient who said, “Without this individual’s direct input and thoughtfulness, my mother would not have stayed here. Because of Diane’s resourcefulness and overall excellent preventive care, my mother has stayed and received what she needed.”
For her part Diane praises her coworkers and her supervisor. “The cohesiveness and workflow among everyone make for a wonderful place to work. I am honored daily to be a part of this floor’s healthcare team.”
Michele Pitka, Ortho/Spine Department
Michele’s nominations came from a wide range of patients and their families who praised her for her patience and outstanding caring attitude. “She is the best nurse my family has ever had. I thank her from the bottom of my heart.” Other nominations extol Michele’s professionalism and caring and her willingness to make patients comfortable. One nomination particularly praised her for her patience in explaining issues with the patient. “She has a passion for helping others and always asks if there is anything more that I may need.”
Jacquelyn Evans, Lead Ultrasound Technician
Jacquelyn began working at Oak Hill Hospital in October 2006 where she has served as a tech and is now lead ultrasound tech. She and her daughter, Kaitlyn, age four, live in Spring Hill. Her nomination came from her department manager who praised her for truly going above and beyond. “When Jackie was leaving for the day she found a patient that she performs a procedure on every week sitting in a wheelchair in the back of the hospital. She stopped to see how she was doing to find out that the patient’s husband was up in the intensive care unit and she had been visiting him all day. She was waiting for her daughter to take her home but unfortunately the daughter’s car broke down and the security officers were trying to get it going. Jackie mentioned to the patient that she did not see her scheduled for her normal weekly visit and the patient was surprised. Jackie called central scheduling to make sure that she got on the schedule. After doing that Jackie helped to make sure that the car was secure and gave them a ride home.”
For her part Jackie says that Oak Hill is an enjoyable place to come to work. “The focus on patient care really makes me feel like there is a purpose not only to my work, but also here at Oak Hill. I also enjoy the people I work with directly and indirectly. Overall the work environment here is very pleasant.”
In making the announcement Oak Hill Hospital’s Chief Operating Officer Sonia Gonzalez said, “Dr. Thomas Frist, Senior, our founder, always believed that ‘Good people beget good people.’ People like Diane, Michele and Jacquelyn prove that Oak Hill Hospital will continue the legacy.”
About Oak Hill Hospital:
Oak Hill Hospital has been serving the Nature Coast since 1984. It is the largest medical facility in Hernando and Citrus Counties (262 acute care beds), is one of the area’s largest private employers, and offers Hernando County’s only comprehensive cardiovascular program, including open heart surgery. Approximately 300 physicians, 950 associates, and over 350 volunteers comprise Oak Hill Hospital’s healthcare delivery team.
Oak Hill has demonstrated its healthcare leadership by achieving distinction as the:
· First hospital in the area to offer a Graduate Medical Education (GME) program with a Residency in Internal Medicine
· First and only open heart surgery hospital in Hernando County.
· First hospital in our region to receive the Women’s Choice Award for Emergency Care excellence by WomenCertified, home of the Women’s Choice Awards.
· First accredited Chest Pain Center with PCI (heart catheterization) and the first hospital in the area to achieve Heart Failure accreditation by the Society of Chest Pain Centers.
· First and only advanced level primary stroke center in Hernando County to be fully accredited by The Joint Commission.
· First comprehensive Women’s Imaging Center in Hernando County and the first imaging center offering digital mammography with computer aided detection.
· First hospital in the area to be recognized as an accredited cancer institute by the Commission on Cancer (CoC) of the American College of Surgeons (ACoS).
· First hospital in the region to offer a comprehensive Orthopaedic & Spine Institute and first to achieve national certification by The Joint Commission for its hip & knee replacement and spinal fusion programs.
· First in the nation to have achieved 100% Board Certified Emergency Nurses, CEN’s, for which it was honored by the Emergency Nurses Association and first in Florida to receive the prestigious Lantern Award in ER nursing for exemplifying exceptional and innovative performance in the core areas of leadership, practice, education, advocacy, and research.
· Now offers the most advanced robotic assisted surgical system: the newly refined da Vinci® Si Surgical System.
· Named by The Joint Commission as one of the nation’s Top Performers on Key Quality Measures in Heart Attack, Heart Failure, Pneumonia, and Surgical Care.
It is located at 11375 Cortez Boulevard, Spring Hill, 1.9 miles east of US 19 on State Road 50. For more information about this release, please contact Richard W. Linkul, Director of Marketing, at 352-597-6383 or Richard.Linkul@HCAHealthcare.com. In Citrus call 352-628-6441. For more information about Oak Hill Hospital, visit our website at OakHillHospital.com, or like us on Facebook.