EVENT: OPEN TO THE PUBLIC!
Guest Speaker Katie Koestner: Parenting the Cyber Generation
Wednesday, Feb. 5th at 7:30 PM at Admiral Farragut Academy
DO NOT MISS professional speaker Katie Koestner who has appeared on the cover of TIME magazine, on Oprah, CNN, MTV, MSNBC, NBC Nightly News, Good Morning America and more. Katie will discuss Parenting the Cyber Generation, a presentation for parents of students age 3-18. Find out exactly how techsavvy you are, as well as how to avoid (and how to teach your student to avoid) the many pitfalls of maintaining a public persona on social media such as:
- Could everything your son puts on Instagram, Tumblr, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Skype accounts could be viewed by colleges and employment agencies? And would they go as far back as middle school?
- Are there companies set up to help ERASE anything bad that is out there on the internet about your daughter and how much do they cost?
- Do any colleges have current students on the admissions team to friend your daughter in social networks?
- What are the legal ramifications of filming another student without his/her permission and posting it online?
- Could XBox live outings and gaming make your son more violence or impact his
- interpersonal and language skills?
- What should you think if you see BitTorrent on your family computer?
- What are the legal issues if another student creates a profile of your son/daughter?
- Bring your friends to learn answers to these questions and more at this fun, engaging program!
Katie Koestner BioSketch:
Ms. Koestner has lectured at over 2000 schools in North America, including about 600 independent schools over the last 15 years. She has appeared on the cover of TIME Magazine, on Oprah, CNN, MTV, MSNBC, NBC Nightly News, Good Morning America, Larry King Live, Later Today, Entertainment Tonight, as well as dozens of other national news programs. Katie’s quick wit, humor and captivating delivering keep her audiences glued to every word! On the topic of CyberSafety and CyberSmarts, Ms. Koestner’s witty, fast-paced program, is packed with all the essential information that truly get students rethinking their assumptions and technology usage. She has presented to hundreds of top schools in North America, including Phillips Exeter, Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Brown, and many more.
# # #
Admiral Farragut Academy is a co-ed, independent PreK-12 day school that offers boarding for national and international students in grades 8-12. With students from an average of 32 countries and 17 U.S. states, our global school creates the opportunity for your child to study and connect with students from all over the world. Students also benefit from unique academic programs like Aviation, Marine Science, Scuba, Sailing, Engineering, and Naval Jr. ROTC. Our graduates succeed in college as organized, accountable, self-disciplined, and respectful critical thinkers who understand that dreams and hard work go hand in hand.