The nation’s first chamber music ensemble comprised of accomplished musicians spanning the diverse African culture, brings a fresh, new energy to the classical music genre.
(Sarasota, Florida) Artist Series Concerts of Sarasota presents the Ritz Chamber Players, Saturday, February 1, 7:30 p.m., and February 2, 7:30 p.m., at the Historic Asolo Theater, 5401 Bay Shore Road, Sarasota. Tickets are $25 to $45 and can be purchased online at www.artistseriesconcerts.org or by calling 941-360-7399.
The Ritz Chamber Players, the nation’s first chamber music ensemble comprised solely of accomplished musicians spanning the diverse African culture, brings a fresh, new energy to the classical music genre. In this concert, Kelly Hall-Tompkins on violin, Tihirah Whittington on cello, Terrance Patterson on clarinet, and Ann Hobson Pilot on harp will perform Adolphus Hailstork’s challenging “American Landscape No. 2” for violin and cello; Astor Piazzolla’s riveting “Histoire du Tango” for harp and violin; and John Williams’ inspired “Quartet La Jolla” for harp, violin, cello and clarinet.
Unique in its dedication to showcase the works of African-American composers, the Ritz Chamber Players has performed with such prestigious musical organizations as the New York Philharmonic, Boston Symphony, Pittsburgh Symphony, Philadelphia Orchestra and London Symphony. The group made its triumphant sold-out Carnegie Hall debut in 2004; an international radio debut with the BBC in 2005; and its national television debut as performers on the 37th Annual NAACP Image Awards in 2006.
Since 1996, Artist Series Concerts of Sarasota has presented an ever-expanding annual season of concerts by globally renowned and celebrated emerging artists. The 2013-2014 season runs through June 2014 and includes six concerts in its “Classical Recital Series,” four concerts in its “Pop Series,” one concert in its “Soiree Series” and five special concerts. Three “Lunch, Look and Listen” events are also scheduled. For more information about the Artist Series Concerts of Sarasota’s 2013-2014 season, visit www.artistseriesconcerts.org or call 941-306-1202. For information about group and student discounts, call 941-306-1202.
The 2013-2014 Season at a Glance
2013-2014 Classical Recital Series
· “Zing Went the Strings” with Augustin Hadelich, violin, and Joyce Yang, piano, performing works from Schumann, Rachmaninoff, Janacek and Previn. January 11 and 12, 7:30 p.m. At Historic Asolo Theater; 5401 Bay Shore Road, Sarasota.
· “Great Music versus Superbowl” with the Ritz Chamber Players performing works by Hailstork, Piazzolla and Williams. February 1 at 7:30 p.m. and February 2 at 7:30 p.m. At Historic Asolo Theater; 5401 Bay Shore Road, Sarasota.
· “Trios Anyone?” with the Tempest Trio performing works by Beethoven, Bernstein and Dvorak. March 1 and 2, 7:30 p.m. At Historic Asolo Theater; 5401 Bay Shore Road, Sarasota.
· “88-Key Salute” with Alexander Schimpf, piano, performing works by Bach, Brahms, Debussy and Kapustin. April 12 and 13; 7:30 p.m. At Historic Asolo Theater; 5401 Bay Shore Road, Sarasota.
· “Opera and More!” with Jeffrey Hill, tenor, Richard Ollarsaba, bass-baritone, and Lee Dougherty Ross, piano, performing solos and duets from operas, including Carmen, Baby Doe, La Boheme, and The Pearl Fishers. May 31 and June 1, 7:30 p.m. At Historic Asolo Theater; 5401 Bay Shore Road, Sarasota.
2013-2014 Pop Series
· “You Made Me Love You” with Jennifer Sheehan, cabaret/theater singer with James Followell, piano, celebrating 100 years of the Great American Songbook and including songs by Jerome Kern, Cole Porter, Richard Rodgers, Oscar Hammerstein, Jule Stein, Betty Comden and Adolph Green, Stephen Sondheim, Henry Mancini, Barry Manilow, Johnny Mercer, Alan and Marilyn Bergman, and more. March 15, 7:30 p.m., and March 16 at 2:00 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. At Historic Asolo Theater; 5401 Bay Shore Road, Sarasota.
· “The Merry Widow” with Susana Diaz, soprano, Lindsay Russell, soprano, Gregory Schmidt, tenor, Andrew Garland, baritone, Joseph Holt, piano, and the Gloria Musicae Singers performing highlights from Franz Lehar’s masterpiece operetta. May 10, 7:30 p.m., and May 11 at 2:00 and 7:30 p.m. At Historic Asolo Theater; 5401 Bay Shore Road, Sarasota.
2013-2014 Special Events
· The Dave Bennett Quartet, with Dave Bennett, clarinet; Tad Weed, piano; Don Mopsick, bass; and Dick Maley, drums, performing such popular favorites as “Moonglow,” “Stompin’ at the Savoy,” and “Just a Closer Walk with Thee.” January 26 at 2:00 and 7:30 p.m. At Beatrice Friedman Symphony Center, 709 N. Tamiami Trail. Sarasota.
· Mary Wilson, soprano, and Jason Ferrante, tenor, with Lee Dougherty Ross, piano, performing classical songs, popular operatic excerpts, selections from Broadway and more. February 16, 7:30 p.m. At Beatrice Friedman Symphony Center, 709 N. Tamiami Trail. Sarasota.
· 2014 Scholarship Competition. Artist Series Concerts will be presenting over $22,000 in awards to the most promising young pianists in Florida. March 29, 10:00 a.m. and 7:30 p.m. At Neel Performing Arts Center 5840 26th St. W., Bradenton.
2013-2014 Soiree Series
· Jason Stearns, baritone, with Lee Dougherty Ross, piano, performing Broadway favorites, including favorites from “Carousel” and “Kiss Me Kate!” the “Toreador Song” from Bizet’s “Carmen,” and “The Desert Song” from Romberg’s operetta. April 20, 2:00 p.m.; April 21, 7:30 p.m. At the Weisenborne/Fischer residence.
2013-2014 Lunch, Look and Listen
· Featuring Sassy, an award-winning barbershop quartet with Denise de la Cal, baritone, Donna Hill, lead, Betty Meinholz, bass, and Chelsea Young, tenor, performing a delightful program, including ”Fit As a Fiddle” from Singing in the Rain, “Til There Was You,” from The Music Man, “Someone To Watch Over Me,” from Oh Kay, and more songs of romance and relationships. February 20, 11 a.m., performance; 12:15 p.m., luncheon. At Michael’s On East, 1212 East Avenue South, Sarasota.
· Featuring Leo Adamov and Eliot Lawson, violin duo, performing works by Prokofiev, De Beriot, and Wieniawski. March 20, 11 a.m., performance; 12:15 p.m., luncheon. At Michael’s On East, 1212 East Avenue South, Sarasota.
· “Vivaldi and Verdi” soprano Michelle Giglio, violinist Margot Zarzycka, and pianist Lee Dougherty Ross. April 17, 11 a.m., performance; 12:15 p.m., luncheon. At Michael’s On East, 1212 East Avenue South, Sarasota.
Artist Series Concerts of Sarasota
Artist Series Concerts of Sarasota was formed in 1996 as the Artist Series of Sarasota. The group is a non-profit corporation based in Sarasota, FL, that prides itself on presenting several major national and international varieties of concert, opera, orchestral, Broadway and film performances throughout their season. The majority of the performances are staged at the restored Historic Asolo Theater at The Ringling.