Spring Hill, Florida (October 30, 2013) – Oak Hill Hospital announces that it has recently received institutional accreditation by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) as well as accreditation for its internal medicine residency program. The program is accredited for 30 residents with 10 starting in July 2014. This is the hospital’s first step in developing a graduate medical education (GME) residency program and a logical progression as Oak Hill Hospital continues to expand into other residency specialties.
According to the Florida Department of Health there is a critical statewide need for physicians and the expansion of GME programs such as this can help alleviate the shortages. The program will also benefit local communities with studies showing that many physicians practice where they complete their residency.
Applications are now being accepted for the July 2014 program. Oak Hill Hospital’s Internal Medicine Residency Program combines broad exposure to inpatient and outpatient medical practice with extensive educational programs in biomedical science to help residents acquire the medical knowledge and clinical skills needed to become an outstanding physician.
“Our program will be dedicated to providing the highest quality graduate medical education for those who come to Oak Hill Hospital from the nation’s medical schools,” said Oak Hill Hospital CEO Mickey Smith. “We are excited and honored to extend this opportunity to participate in our post-Graduate Medical Education Program,” he added.
About the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education
The Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) is the accreditation body responsible for accrediting allopathic graduate medical education training programs for MD’s in the United States. It is a non-profit private council that evaluates and accredits residency programs. The ACGME member organizations are: The American Board of Medical Specialties, American Hospital Association, American Medical Association, Association of Medical Colleges, and the Council of Medical Specialty Societies, each of whom appoints four members to the ACGME’s board of directors.
About Oak Hill Hospital:
Oak Hill Hospital has been serving the Nature Coast since 1984. It is the largest medical facility in Hernando and Citrus County (262 acute care beds), is one of the area’s largest private employers, and offers Hernando County’s only comprehensive cardiovascular program, including open heart surgery. Approximately 300 physicians, 950 associates, and over 350 volunteers comprise Oak Hill Hospital’s healthcare delivery team.
Oak Hill has achieved distinction as the:
· First and only open heart surgery hospital in Hernando County.
· First Chest Pain Center with PCI (heart catheterization) in Hernando County accredited by the Society of Chest Pain Centers.
· First and Only advanced level primary stroke center in Hernando County to be fully accredited by The Joint Commission, the leading accreditor of health care organizations in America.
· First comprehensive Women’s Imaging Center in Hernando County and the first imaging center offering digital mammography with computer aided detection.
· First hospital in the area to be recognized as an accredited cancer institute by the Commission on Cancer (CoC) of the American College of Surgeons (ACoS).
· First hospital in the region to achieve Heart Failure accreditation with the Society of Chest Pain Centers.
· First hospital in the region to offer a comprehensive Orthopaedic & Spine Institute and first to achieve national certification by The Joint Commission for its Hip & Knee replacement and spinal fusion programs.
· First in the nation to have achieved 100% Board Certified Emergency Nurses, CEN’s.
· Now offers the most advanced robotic assisted surgical system: the newly refined da Vinci® Si Surgical System.
· Only Emergency Care Center in Florida, and one of only 20 nationwide, honored by the Emergency Nurses Association for its first-ever Lantern Award exemplifying exceptional and innovative performance in the core areas of leadership, practice, education, advocacy, and research.
It is located at 11375 Cortez Boulevard, Spring Hill, 1.9 miles east of US 19 on State Road 50. For more information about this release, please contact Richard W. Linkul, Director of Marketing, at 352-597-6383 or Richard.Linkul@hcahealthcare.com. In Citrus call 352-628-6441. For more information about Oak Hill Hospital, visit our website at OakHillHospital.com, or like us on Facebook.