On Oct. 4, as part of national manufacturing day in Florida, 2000 students will tour 66 high-tech manufacturing facilities across Florida. The Made in Florida tours are made possible by FLATE (Florida Advanced Technological Education), the National Science Foundation Center of Excellence at Hillsborough Community College in Brandon, the Manufacturers Association of Florida, Bay Area Manufacturers Association and Sarasota Manatee Manufacturers Association, and manufacturers/educators across the state. The tours will serve as an educational opportunity for students to expand knowledge about high-tech careers & educational pathways in manufacturing, in Florida, and celebrates the state’s more than 14,000 manufacturers across Florida.
Industry tours for Greater Tampa Bay region include:
- Tampa Bay Tech to TAW
- Gaither & East Lake High School to Southern Manufacturing Technologies
- Greco Middle School to Chromalloy
- McLane Middle School to Vulcan Machines
- Robinson & King high schools to Sypris Electronics
- Tomlin Middle School to Plastipak Holdings, Inc.
- Middleton High School to Heat Pipe Technology Inc.
- Meadowlawn Middle School to Jabil
- Northeast High School to DRS Laurel Technologies
- Calvary Christian School to Bausch and Lomb
- Osceola High School to H. & S. Swansons’ Tools Company
- East Lake High School to Southern Manufacturing Technologies, ConMed Linvatec, American Tool & Machine, Ventel Plastics and ValPak
- St Pete College Forum on Oct. 3rd, 2013: Open to the Public
Sarasota /Manatee County
- Lakewood Ranch and Bayshore high schools to Sun Hydraulics
- Booker High School to PGT Industries
In Pasco and Hernando counties, Accuform Signs, Emery Thompson, Alumi-Guard, PharmaWorks, Micro Matic, and Bauer have joined FLATE to organize tours in the region. In Marion County SPX Flow Technology, E-One, Quality Banner, Winco, Goldenflake, ClosetMaid and Townley have taken the lead in hosting tours for local students at their facilities.
For local/Florida based manufacturing day events, visit the “Made in Florida” site at www.madeinflorida.org. For more information, or to schedule an interview on statewide Manufacturing Day activities, contact Dr. Marilyn Barger, executive director of FLATE at email@example.com/813.259.6578, and Desh Bagley, FLATE outreach manager at firstname.lastname@example.org or (813) 253-7838.