Hudson, Florida (August 27, 2013) – Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point has been approved by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) for an Internal Medicine Residency Program. The first group of residents will start in July 2014. This is the hospital’s first step in developing graduate medical education (GME) residency programs and a logical progression as the Bayonet Point continues to expand its tertiary and specialty programs.
“Our program will be dedicated to providing the highest quality graduate medical education for those who come to Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point from the nation’s medical schools. We are excited and honored to extend this opportunity to participate in our Post-Graduate Medical Education Program and we also intend to add Allopathic Graduate Medical Education Programs in General Surgery and Internal Medicine in 2015,” said hospital CEO Shayne George. “There is an added benefit to our community because graduates are inclined to remain in the community where they have completed their residencies,” he added.
According to the Florida Department of Health, there is a critical statewide need for physicians and the expansion of GME programs, such as this, can help alleviate these shortages. The program will also benefit local community needs, with studies showing that about 60 percent of physicians practice where they complete their residency.
About Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point
Regional Medical Center Bayonet has been serving the community since 1981. We are a 290-bed acute care hospital located in Hudson, FL and home of the nationally acclaimed Heart Institute. We have more than 350 physicians, 900 employees and 500 volunteers on our integrated healthcare delivery team.
Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point has achieved distinction in the following areas:
- Level II Trauma Center
- Top Performing Hospital for Key Quality Measures – recognized as one of the nation’s top performing hospitals for heart attack, heart failure, pneumonia, and surgical care by the Joint Commission
- Accredited Chest Pain Center, with PCI – Society of Chest Pain Centers for Cycle I, II and III Certified Advance Primary Stroke Center – Joint Commission
- Certified Advance Primary Stroke Center – Joint Commission
- Heart & Stroke Champions Award Winner 1998 – 2011
- MRI, CT, Ultrasound, and Nuclear Medicine Accredited – American College of Radiology
- Approved, with Commendation, Community Cancer Program – American College of Surgeons.
- 10 Joint Commission Disease-Specific Certifications: primary stroke center, acute myocardial infarction, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), coronary artery bypass graft, heart failure, joint replacement hip, joint replacement knee, lung cancer, pneumonia, wound care!
- Awarded Hospital Safety Score of “A” in three consecutive rankings by The Leapfrog Group.
- Recipient of the 2013 American Heart Association (AHA)/American Stroke Association’s Get With The Guidelines® Gold Performance Achievement Award in both heart failure and stroke.
Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point is located at 14000 Fivay Road, Hudson, FL. 34667. For additional information on Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point visit www.rmchealth.com or www.heartoftampa.com or visit us on Facebook.