The now 30-member co-chair roster includes community leaders, business owners, three former Pier Advisory Task Force members, and national and local political professionals, among various other volunteers
ST PETERSBURG (August 6, 2013) — Originally launched by 15 young professional “co-chairs” alongside a small group of supporters and volunteers, the BuildThePier campaign has grown rapidly and graduated beyond “young professional.” Breadths of new members, supporters, and donors have come together to advocate for building the new St. Pete Pier (known as The Lens).
In less than a month, the campaign:
- has raised more than $40, 000 (more than $50, 000 including in-kind contributions);
- had an informational mail piece in the box of every mail ballot recipient;
- is about to triple the amount of Facebook likes of its primary opponent;
- has knocked on more than 1,000 doors, with plans for thousands more;
- has multiple television spots running on TV and on various web outlets;
- is holding several events per week; and
- is hearing from new people everyday.Now the PAC is co-chaired by a diverse group of 30 individuals encompassing areas of national and local politics, civic leadership (including three Pier Task Force members), education, finance, law, architecture, construction, marketing, hospitality and more, including many business owners. The new co-chairs are:
Madeline McCarthy Ed Montanari
Co-chairs, along with several other key supporters, are all providing services pro bono. Funds raised are being spent only on informational materials, advertising, and get-out-the-vote efforts; all aimed at helping ensure voters have accurate information about the new St. Pete Pier. The other/initial 15 co-chairs are:
T obin Robeck
About the BuildThePier campaign:
The BuildThePier campaign is calling on residents to vote NO on cancelling a contract to construct the new St Pete Pier (known as The Lens). The PAC’s primary purpose of existence is to share accurate information and clarify misperceptions about the new St Pete Pier. Information is available at PierFacts.com, BuildThePier.com, and Facebook.com/BuildThePier.