Beginning Thursday (Aug. 1), Hillsborough County residents will have two days a week to water their lawns, instead of one.
The Southwest Florida Water Management District’s Governing Board voted on Tuesday to let all water shortage orders expire today (July 31). With this action, Hillsborough County returns to its usual year-round restrictions.
The Governing Board allowed the water shortage orders to expire in response to significant improvements in aquifer and river levels as a result of this summer’s above-average rainfall. The region’s major public water suppliers have also been able to capture and store large supplies of water to meet the needs of residents.
Effective Thursday (Aug. 1), the new schedule for watering established lawns and landscaping in unincorporated Hillsborough County, as well as the City of Tampa, is:
- Addresses ending in 0, 1, 2 or 3 – Mondays and Thursdays
- Addresses ending in 4, 5 or 6 – Tuesdays and Fridays
- Addresses ending in 7, 8 or 9 – Wednesdays and Saturdays
- Locations with no address (common areas) and locations with mixed addresses (such as office complexes and shopping centers) – Wednesdays and Saturdays
All watering must be done before 8 a.m. or after 6 p.m., and only once on your designated days.
The restrictions apply to all residents – not just customers of public utilities – and most water sources. That includes private wells, and ponds or lakes that are used as alternate irrigation supplies. Reclaimed water customers are exempt from the water restrictions, although these customers are encouraged to use only what they need.
Hand Watering – Hand-watering and low-volume irrigation of plant material other than lawns or turfgrass may be done on any day and at any time.
New Sod and Landscaping – New sod and landscaping may be watered on any day for the first 30 days. On days 31-60, new sod and landscaping may be watered approximately every other day: even-numbered addresses on Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday; odd-numbered addresses, locations with no address and locations with mixed addresses on Monday, Wednesday and Saturday. All watering of new sod and landscaping must be done before 8 a.m. or after 6 p.m. An irrigation system zone can only be operated if the new sod or plant material covers at least 50 percent of that zone.
Decorative Fountains, Car Washing, Pressure Washing – No restrictions.
For More Information
- For complete information on these and other water rules in unincorporated Hillsborough County, as well as links to information from the cities of Tampa, Plant City and Temple Terrace, visit www.HillsboroughCounty.org/Water.
- For a recorded message about the restrictions, call 813-275-7094.
- For other questions, call the Water Conservation Team at 813-272-5977, ext. 43991, during regular business hours.