*Never use lighted candles to decorate a tree or as part of any other type of decorations that may be made of, or include, combustible materials.
*Always place candles on a sturdy platform that is clear of potential tipping and/or knock over hazards.
*Keep candles out of windows, and never leave them unattended.
*Always keep candles, as well as matches and lighters, up high and out of reach of children. Never leave children or pets unattended in a room with a burning candle.
Holiday Lighting & Extension Cords
*Only use lights and extension cords (indoor & outdoor) that have been tested and rated by an independent testing laboratory (UL) for the proper use and have a fused plug.
*Never leave lights on while away, and always unplug lights prior to going to bed.
*Only use outdoor GFCI protected electrical outlets or portable GFCI power strips rated for outdoor use to power outdoor lights and/or decorations in order to avoid potential electrocution hazards.
*Use only decorations/trimmings made of non-combustible or flame resistant materials
*Avoid placing breakable decorations, such as glass tree ornaments, where pets and/or small children may reach them.
*Only buy or use artificial trees that are rated as fire resistant.
*When considering a live tree: the fresher the tree is kept, the longer it will last and the lesser the fire hazard. Also remember:
a)A fresh tree’s needles are hard to pull from the branches.
b)When a fresh tree’s needles are bent between the fingers they will bend and not break.
c)The cut trunk of a fresh tree is usually sticky with sap.
*When placing a live tree within a home, always remember the following:
a)Place tree away from potential fire hazards, such as fireplaces, radiators or other heat sources.
b)Place tree in area that is clear of traffic. Do not place tree in doorway or walkways.
*When the tree becomes dry, discard it promptly. The best way to dispose of your tree is by placing it curbside for pick up by your sanitation department.
*Prior to lighting any fire, make sure that all combustible materials and/or decorations are clear of the fireplace area. Make sure that the flue or vent is open.
*Avoid burning wrapping paper, bows, etc. in a fireplace. A flash fire may result as wrappings may ignite suddenly and burn intensely.
*Avoid burning evergreens in a fireplace. Dry evergreens can possibly cause intense flare ups that could eject sparks or embers out of the fireplace, or up the chimney resulting in the igniting of creosote deposits.
Looking for a practical gift that shows you really care? Take a look at these low-cost, fire safety gift ideas
(available at home improvement and discount stores)!
Smoke Detector:In Florida, smoke detectors are required by law in all new homes, rental property, hotels/motels/resorts, and dormitories. A smoke detector should be installed on each level of your home and outside of each sleeping area. Give a gift of life. Give a smoke detector.
Batteries: Batteries in smoke detectors need to be changed annually, and they make wonderful stocking stuffers.
Calendar: Give a calendar with one day each month marked as “smoke detector testing day.” Include two days each year (when you change your clocks for daylight saving time) reminding your loved one to change the battery and vacuum the unit. Choose two dates per year to practice home fire escape plans.
Fire Extinguisher: Purchase a good fire extinguisher that can be recharged easily. The Florida State Fire Marshal recommends a 2A10BC.
Escape Ladder: This handy device enables persons sleeping in a second- or third-story bedroom to escape when fire and smoke make it impossible to get out any other way.