Hudson, Florida (December 5, 2012) – Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point was honored with an “A” Hospital Safety Score by The Leapfrog Group, an independent national nonprofit run by employers and other large purchasers of health benefits. The A score was awarded in the latest update to the Hospital Safety ScoreSM, the A, B, C, D or F scores assigned to U.S. hospitals based on preventable medical errors, injuries accidents, and infections. The Hospital Safety Score was compiled under the guidance of the nation’s leading experts on patient safety and is designed to give the public information they can use to protect themselves and their families.
“This ‘A’ rating has a very special meaning for us,” said Shayne George, CEO of Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point. “It is recognition of our entire staff’s effort to ensure our service area of the safest hospital experience possible. Additionally, this is another objective third party measurement showing that RMCBP meets the highest industry standards and has again earned the top score awarded by the rating organization,” he added.
“Hospitals like this that earn an A have demonstrated their commitment to their patients and their community,” said Leah Binder, president and CEO of The Leapfrog Group. “I congratulate Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point for its safety excellence, and look forward to the day when all hospitals will match this standard.”
To see Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point’s scores as they compare nationally and locally, visit the Hospital Safety Score website at www.hospitalsafetyscore.org, which also provides information on how the public can protect themselves and loved ones during a hospital stay. People can also check their local hospital’s score on the free mobile app, available at www.hospitalsafetyscore.org.
Calculated under the guidance of The Leapfrog Group’s nine-member Blue Ribbon Expert Panel, the Hospital Safety Score uses 26 measures of publicly available hospital safety data to produce a single score representing a hospital’s overall capacity to keep patients safe from infections, injuries, and medical and medication errors. The panel includes: John Birkmeyer (University of Michigan), Ashish Jha (Harvard University), Lucian Leape (Harvard University), Arnold Millstein (Stanford University), Peter Pronovost (Johns Hopkins University), Patrick Romano (University of California, Davis), Sara Singer (Harvard University), Tim Vogus (Vanderbilt University), and Robert Wachter (University of California, San Francisco).
About The Leapfrog Group
The Leapfrog Group (www.leapfroggroup.org) is a national nonprofit organization using the collective leverage of large purchasers of health care to initiate breakthrough improvements in the safety, quality, and affordability of health care for Americans. The flagship Leapfrog Hospital Survey allows purchasers to structure their contracts and purchasing to reward the highest performing hospitals. The Leapfrog Group was founded in November 2000 with support from the Business Roundtable and national funders, and is now independently operated with support from its purchaser and other members.
About Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point
Regional Medical Center Bayonet has been serving the community since 1981. We are a 290-bed acute care hospital located in Hudson, FL and home of the nationally acclaimed Heart Institute. We have more than 350 physicians, 900 employees and 500 volunteers on our integrated healthcare delivery team.
RMCBP has been approved by the Florida Department of Health, Office of Trauma, as a Provisional Level 2 Trauma Center. This designation means critically injured patients may have access to treatment in the “golden hour.” This is the first hour after a serious injury in which there is the highest likelihood that prompt medical attention will prevent death. Through an affiliation with the University of South Florida Health, RMCBP has the support of a major academic university and medical school. A Trauma Center in our community means faster treatment to improve patient outcomes and keep patients close to home and their loved ones.
Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point has achieved distinction in the following areas:
- Recipient of the 2012 American Heart Association (AHA)/American Stroke Association’s Get With The Guidelines® Gold Plus Performance Achievement Award in both heart failure and stroke.
- Recipient of the AHA’s Mission: Lifeline Bronze Quality Achievement Award for implementing a higher standard of heart attack care that improves the survival and outcomes for STEMI (ST Elevation Myocardial Infarction) patients.
- Top Performing Hospital, the Joint Commission – recognized as one of the nation’s top performing hospitals in quality measurements for heart attack, heart failure, pneumonia, and surgical care.
- Certified Advance Primary Stroke Center – Joint Commission
- Accredited Chest Pain Center, with PCI – Society of Chest Pain Centers for Cycle I, II and III
- Heart & Stroke Champions Award Winner 1998 – 2011
- MRI, CT, Ultrasound, and Nuclear Medicine Accredited – American College of Radiology
- Approved, with Commendation, Community Cancer Program – American College of Surgeons.
- 10 Joint Commission Disease-Specific Certifications: primary stroke center, acute myocardial infarction, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), coronary artery bypass graft, heart failure, joint replacement hip, joint replacement knee, lung cancer, pneumonia, wound care!
Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point is located at14000 Fivay Road, Hudson, FL. 34667. For additional information on Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point visit RMCHealth.com or HeartofTampa.com. Or visit us on Facebook.