Oak Hill Hospital has announced its Star Associates of the Month of October. Each month hospital associates are chosen in a process that involves nominations and voting by their peers, patients, patient families, and physicians.
This month’s Oak Hill Hospital “Stars” are:
Dennis Blumberg, Patient Transporter
Dennis joined Oak Hill Hospital’s Radiology Department as a Patient Transporter in January of 2009. As a patient transporter he moves patients to testing areas and back to their rooms. Dennis lives in Spring Hill with his parents, Patricia and Charles. He also has a sister, Patrice, who works in Ultrasound and a brother, Charlie. Dennis’s nomination came from a co-worker who said, “I know when Dennis is here that, if I need an extra hand of help, he is a phone call away. He is not only a patient transporter, but he is also a help to the nursing staff. Dennis has a reputation for politeness and courteousness to his patients, which is a very important impression that Oak Hill Hospital wants to make on patients and family. For Dennis’s part he says, “I enjoy when patients tell me that they are getting great care, and feel much better than when they came in.”
Christine Burnes, CNA (Certified Nursing Assistant)
Christine joined Oak Hill Hospital in January of 2011. She predominantly works on the 5th floor Telemetry Unit, but she is willing to float everywhere in the hospital. As a CNA she considers her job is to make the patients and families feel like, “Oak Hill is the best hospital to choose because of the care I provide.” She is also a preceptor and therefore is responsible for spreading care for new members of the team at Oak Hill. She and her husband of 20 years, Keith, have a 17 year old son, Anthony, and live in Weeki Wachee. Christine received several nominations from patients as well as co-workers. Some of the comments from her patients praise her for seeing to the needs of people she was not even assigned to. “She would kindly help any patient.” The nominations also praise her for her compassion and tenderness in how she deals with patients’ pain and their varied conditions. One co-worker stated that, “I have seen CNAs do their job but Christine goes that extra mile.” Christine is known for always having a smile. For her part Christine says that, “I really love to provide care to patients especially with the 5th floor team. We work together to provide the best care.”
Michael Liguori, Pharm. D.
Michael joined Oak Hill Hospital’s Pharmacy Department as a Clinical Pharmacist in August of 2004. As a Clinical Pharmacist 75% of his time is spent decentralized in the patient care areas reviewing and optimizing patients’ drug therapy in conjunction with the medical, nursing, and clinical staff to provide the best pharmaceutical care for his patients. The other 25% of his time is spent in distributive pharmacy functions and systems helping to provide accurate and timely medications to patients. Michael and his spouse, Ruth Anne, ARNP live in Hernando Beach with a son, Kevin Michael, 20 and a daughter Andrea Elizabeth, 17. Michael’s nomination came from a colleague who praised him for quickly responding to a need on the nursing floor, “even though the cutoff time was past. Michael went out of his way to make the medication for that patient. This patient was very sick and was on multiple medications and Michael was very accommodating in assisting.” For his part Michael says, “I am truly blessed to have the opportunity to work with a team of highly skilled and caring individuals both in the Pharmacy Department and throughout the hospital.” Michael further went on to praise his co-workers for the respect that they have for each other. He also speaks of the respect for others and the collaboration between medical, nursing, clinical and hospital staff and is particularly impressed with the environment which allows all staff the opportunity to provide the very best care toward patients. “It is a pleasure to work with so many dedicated and caring individuals at Oak Hill Hospital.”
In making the announcement Oak Hill Hospital’s Chief Operating Officer Sonia Gonzalez said, “Dr. Thomas Frist, Senior, our founder, always believed that ‘Good people beget good people.’ People like Dennis, Christine and Michael prove that Oak Hill Hospital will continue the legacy.”
About Oak Hill Hospital:
Oak Hill Hospital has been serving the Nature Coast since 1984. It is the largest medical facility in Hernando and Citrus County (234 acute care beds), is one of the area’s largest private employers, and offers Hernando County’s only comprehensive cardiovascular program, including open heart surgery. Approximately 300 physicians, 950 associates, and over 350 volunteers comprise Oak Hill Hospital’s healthcare delivery team.
Oak Hill has achieved distinction as the:
· First and only open heart surgery hospital in Hernando County.
· First Chest Pain Center with PCI (heart catheterization) in Hernando County accredited by the Society of Chest Pain Centers.
· First and Only advanced level primary stroke center in Hernando County to be fully accredited by The Joint Commission, the leading accreditor of health care organizations in America.
· First comprehensive Women’s Imaging Center in Hernando County and the first imaging center offering digital mammography with computer aided detection.
· First hospital in the area to be recognized as an accredited cancer institute by the Commission on Cancer (CoC) of the American College of Surgeons (ACoS).
· First hospital in the region to achieve Heart Failure accreditation with the Society of Chest Pain Centers.
· First hospital in the region to offer a comprehensive Orthopaedic & Spine Institute and first to achieve national certification by The Joint Commission for its Hip & Knee replacement and spinal fusion programs.
· First in the nation to have achieved 100% Board Certified Emergency Nurses, CEN’s.
· Only Emergency Care Center in Florida, and one of only 20 nationwide, honored by the Emergency Nurses Association for its first-ever Lantern Award exemplifying exceptional and innovative performance in the core areas of leadership, practice, education, advocacy, and research.
It is located at 11375 Cortez Boulevard, Spring Hill, 1.9 miles east of US 19 on State Road 50. For more information about this release, please contact Richard W. Linkul, Director of Marketing, at 352-597-6383 or Richard.Linkul@hcahealthcare.com. In Citrus call 352-628-6441. For more information about Oak Hill Hospital, visit our website at OakHillHospital.com, or like us on Facebook.