Spring Hill, Florida (October 30, 2012) – Oak Hill Hospital announces that it is a proud recipient of this year’s Hernando County Business & Professional Women’s Employer of the Year Award. The award was presented to Oak Hill Hospital’s Chief Operating Officer, Sonia Gonzalez, on October 23, 2012 during the Hernando County BPW’s National Businesswomen’s Week Celebration.
Oak Hill Hospital was nominated because it has earned a reputation for “giving back” as a cornerstone of its corporate culture. Oak Hill Hospital’s board of directors, administrators, associates and volunteers have supported countless programs in the arts, youth, elderly, economic development and healthcare.
Those associated with Oak Hill Hospital embrace the belief that providing the tools, talent, time and commitment to helping others is something everyone at Oak Hill Hospital can feel good about, and have provided them for hundreds of charitable organizations (including more than 60 in the past two years alone). Officers, department directors and managers have held or hold leadership positions in the Chamber of Commerce, YMCA, HCA Hope Fund, United Way, American Cancer Society, American Heart Association, Florida Blood Services, HPH Hospice, Kiwanis and Rotary Clubs, Tampa Bay Partnership, Leadership Hernando and Citrus, and many additional organizations.
Associates and hospital volunteers have given more than 200 pints of blood a year for 12 years – a gift of life for approximately 7,500 patients.
Oak Hill Hospital’s H2U Partner’s Club has invested over $1.6 million over the past 10 years in innovative programs and outreach for seniors, which have opened up partnership opportunities with the county in the areas of service such as Meals on Wheels and the provision of congregate meals.
Oak Hill Hospital team members have consistently raised between $10-15,000 year after year for the American Heart Association and between $15-20,000 a year for the American Cancer Society by participating in walks, holding bake and other sales, and through cash contributions and online donations.
In honoring Oak Hill Hospital, Hernando County’s BPW cited these and other reasons for being this year’s recipient.
Attached Photo: Oak Hill Hospital’s Sonia Gonzalez, right, holds Employer of the Year Award for Hernando County Business & Professional Women (BPW). At left is Patricia Crowley, President and CEO of the Greater Hernando County Chamber of Commerce, and an Oak Hill Hospital board member, who received the award for this year’s Woman of Achievement.
About Oak Hill Hospital:
Oak Hill Hospital has been serving the Nature Coast since 1984. It is the largest medical facility in Hernando and Citrus County (234 acute care beds), is one of the area’s largest private employers, and offers Hernando County’s only comprehensive cardiovascular program, including open heart surgery. Approximately 300 physicians, 950 associates, and over 350 volunteers comprise Oak Hill Hospital’s healthcare delivery team.
Oak Hill has achieved distinction as the:
· First and only open heart surgery hospital in Hernando County.
· First Chest Pain Center with PCI (heart catheterization) in Hernando County accredited by the Society of Chest Pain Centers.
· First and Only advanced level primary stroke center in Hernando County to be fully accredited by The Joint Commission, the leading accreditor of health care organizations in America.
· First comprehensive Women’s Imaging Center in Hernando County and the first imaging center offering digital mammography with computer aided detection.
· First hospital in the area to be recognized as an accredited cancer institute by the Commission on Cancer (CoC) of the American College of Surgeons (ACoS).
· First hospital in the region to achieve Heart Failure accreditation with the Society of Chest Pain Centers.
· First hospital in the region to offer a comprehensive Orthopaedic & Spine Institute and first to achieve national certification by The Joint Commission for its Hip & Knee replacement and spinal fusion programs.
· First in the nation to have achieved 100% Board Certified Emergency Nurses, CEN’s.
· Only Emergency Care Center in Florida, and one of only 20 nationwide, honored by the Emergency Nurses Association for its first-ever Lantern Award exemplifying exceptional and innovative performance in the core areas of leadership, practice, education, advocacy, and research.
· Only hospital in Hernando and Citrus Counties recognized as one of the nation’s top performers on four key quality measures – heart attack, heart failure, pneumonia, and surgical care – by The Joint Commission.
It is located at 11375 Cortez Boulevard, Spring Hill, 1.9 miles east of US 19 on State Road 50. For more information about this release, please contact Richard W. Linkul, Director of Marketing, at 352-597-6383 or Richard.Linkul@hcahealthcare.com. In Citrus call 352-628-6441. For more information about Oak Hill Hospital, visit our website at OakHillHospital.com, or like us on Facebook.