Brandon, Florida (October 30, 2012) – Brandon Regional Hospital announces that it has performed the first surgery in Hillsborough County to implant Medtronic’s BRYAN® Cervical Disc. The surgery was performed by Donna A. Saatman, MD, who was recognized by Medtronic for her skills and was chosen to bring the technology to Hillsborough County.
Dr. Saatman is a Diplomat of the American Board of Neurological Surgery. She received her MD degree from the State University of New York Health Science Center in Syracuse, New York. She completed her residency training in neurosurgery at the University of South Florida where she achieved the distinction of being named Chief Resident of Neurosurgery
The BRYAN® Cervical Disc System was approved by the US Food & Drug Administration (FDA) for the treatment of single-level cervical disc disease (radiculopathy and/or myelopathy).
The BRYAN® Cervical Disc is a titanium-polyurethane prosthetic device that is inserted between the vertebrae to replace the natural spinal disc. The BRYAN® Cervical Disc is designed to maintain range of motion in the neck which the potential alternative anterior cervical discectomy and fusion (ACDF) does not. With the ACDF, the diseased disc is removed and the empty space is fused using a bone graft with a plate and bone screws which eliminates the range of motion in the operated segment of the neck. The BRYAN® Cervical Disc is designed to allow for motion of the cervical spine (neck) including flexion/extension (forward-backward rotation), lateral bending (side-to-side rotation), axial rotation (looking left and right) as well as translation (gliding).
About Brandon Regional Hospital
Brandon Regional Hospital is a proud member of the nation’s leading provider of healthcare services. BRH is a 398-acute care facility which includes a 25-bed Behavioral Health Center. BRH holds the following certifications:
· The first hospital in Hillsborough County to receive accreditation as a Chest Pain Center with PCI from The Society of Chest Pain Centers.
· The three star award for excellence in cardiac surgery – the highest award given by the Society of Thoracic Surgeons.
· Certification as a Primary Stroke Center by The Joint Commission.
· The Bariatric Center of Excellence award by the American Society of the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery.
· The Brandon Regional Hospital Echocardiography Lab has been awarded a three-year term of accreditation in the area of adult transthoracic by the Intersocietal Commission for the Accreditation of Echocardiography Laboratories (ICAEL).
In addition, BRH has enhanced its services this year with the addition of:
· The newly renovated and expanded Women’s Center at Brandon Regional Hospital, which includes The Baby Suites, Level III NICU (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit), and new in-patient rooms for gynecology and anti-partum patients.
· The Reflux Center, which has developed a comprehensive approach for the diagnosis and treatment of acid reflux disease by combining highly skilled physicians and the latest technology to provide effective solutions.
· The newly renovated Behavioral Health Center a 25 bed unit which emphasizes the importance of instilling hope with group and individual psychotherapy, medication assessment, psycho-educational group, family support and education groups, and interventions designed to guide the mind, body, and spirit to recovery.
· The Neuroscience Center and Heart & Vascular Center offer the latest diagnoses and treatment options in neurological, spine and cardiac conditions.
Brandon Regional Hospital has recently initiated a program to only perform elective deliveries at 39 weeks gestation unless medically indicated. Although this initiative is becoming wide-spread throughout the nation, Brandon Regional Hospital and HCA implemented this initiative before it became a national movement.
Brandon Regional Hospital is located at 119 Oakfield Drive, Brandon, Florida 33511. For more information contact Patricia Montgomery, 813-571-5105 or go to BrandonRegionalHospital.com.