Theatre Odyssey is pleased to announce it is ready to begin accepting ten-minute plays for its eighth annual festival scheduled to be held March 29 – 31, 2013 at the Westcoast Black Theatre Troupe’s theater, 1664 10th Way, Sarasota. Theatre Odyssey’s 10-Minute Play Festival is presented during a three-day weekend that includes evening performances on Friday and Saturday at 8:00 pm and one matinee on Sunday at 2:00. Each 10-minute play is presented by professional actors who have rehearsed with an experienced director. Winners of the Festival are announced following the Sunday performances. In addition to seeing their play presented by professionals, each 2013 finalist will have an opportunity to have their work published in volume 2 of Theatre Odyssey’s Ten-Minute Play Festival 2010-2013 anthology to be released at the end of 2013.
Anyone wishing to submit an original 10-minutes play should read the following criteria and send it before the December 15th deadline to Theatre Odyssey, c/o Melliss Kenworthy, 1430 S. Orange Avenue, Sarasota, Florida 34239.
Each play must be presented within ten minutes (generally between seven and ten pages). The cast should not exceed five actors. Theatre Odyssey will make final production decisions based on appropriateness of content and practical ability to produce the play.
- All playwrights must reside in the central Gulf Coast of Florida (Tampa to Ft. Myers).
- The playwright must agree to be present at the award performance March 31, 2013 in Sarasota, Florida.
- There is a submission limit of three plays per playwright. The first submission is free. Each subsequent submission (2) is $15.00 each. Payment by check to Theatre Odyssey must accompany the play submission.
- Each submission or submissions must have a separate cover sheet containing the author’s name, contact information and 150-word bio. The cover sheet should contain a statement indicating, “I understand that Theatre Odyssey will only consider original work. Plays submitted which are based on any other published work, including but not limited to novels, short stories, teleplays or other theatrical scripts, unless also written by the submitting author, are ineligible. I hereby state that my submission meets this standard.”
- Three copies of each submission are required preferably using Microsoft word with no author identification.
- All submissions must be received by December 15, 2012.
- A high resolution headshot should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
A select panel of three judges reviews all plays. The reviewers are independent of Theatre Odyssey and each submission is reviewed without author identification.
About Theatre Odyssey
Theatre Odyssey was founded in 2006 to encourage and promote the efforts of local playwrights and actors. Over the years, the group has premiered over 60 plays written, directed and performed by Gulf Coast playwrights, actors and directors.
For more information about Theatre Odyssey visit our website www.Theatreodyssey.org