|In celebration of the 150thanniversary of the Morrill Act, which paved the way for two land grantuniversities in the state of Florida (University of Florida and Florida A&MUniversity), Manatee County pays tribute to its agricultural roots with Farm-CityWeek, November 10-17, 2012.
Activities this year include:
– Wednesday, November 7th:Manatee River Soil Speech Contest, open to Manatee County middle and highschool students. Call Gail Somodi, 907-0011.
– Saturday, November 10th:Manatee County 4-H Rabbit Show, open to all Florida 4-H members and ManateeCounty FFA students. Call Diana Smith, 722-4524.
– Monday, November 12th:Junior Leadership Manatee Tour and presentation of essay contest winners at theManatee County School Board meeting.
– Tuesday, November 13th:Kiwanis Club of Bradenton luncheon, by invitation only, honors the year’sOutstanding Agriculturist for a lifetime of achievements.
– Wednesday, November 14th:The late Callon C. Keen, Sr. will be inducted into the Manatee CountyAgriculture Hall of Fame during the Hall of Fame Luncheon at noon at thePalmetto Women’s Club, 910 Sixth St. W., Palmetto. Manatee County Farm CityWeek Essay winners also will be honored. Tickets are $12; for reservations,call Ann Marshall, 722-8940.
– Wednesday, November 14th:As part of their overall learning experience, this year’s Leadership Manateeclass will tour a variety of agricultural operations around Manatee County.
– Thursday, November 15th:Ag Venture at Mosaic Arena at the fairgrounds, 1303 17th St. W., Palmetto, willbe for approximately 1,000 invited third-graders to learn about agriculturethrough hands-on experiences. Call Diana Smith, 722-4524.
– Friday, November 16th: AgricultureFarm Tour visits Dakin Dairy, Char-o-Lot Ranch, Duette Preserve, Gary ReederVegetable Farm, and Bunker Hill Vineyard and Winery. Cost is $40 and includeslunch. For reservations, call Joann Larson, 722-4524, or go to http://fcwagtour2012.eventbrite.com.
– Saturday, November 17th: The BeefWorkshop and Prospect Show, open to Manatee County 4-H and FFA members, willbegin in the morning with educational programs, and the show starts at 1:00p.m. in Mosaic Arena. Spectator admission is free. Call Christa Kirby orJennifer Glassburn, 722-4524.