NSF Center of Excellence to Host Tours Across Florida for 2014 MFG Day in Florida
FLATE, the National Science Foundation Regional Center of Excellence in Florida, Manufacturers Association of Florida, Regional Manufacturers Associations and Florida TRADE are once again joining forces to promote Manufacturing Day 2014. Here is how industry and educators across Florida can participate to celebrate manufacturing in Florida:
- Host a “Made in Florida” student tour
- Host an open house for Career Source Florida talent pool
- Adopt a school (Dream !t Do !t manufacturing mentor)
- Host a “Made in Florida” tour AND adopt a school
- Get a county commission proclamation for Manufacturing Day
- Contribute to Manufacturing Day student tours and tee-shirts designed and produced by FLATE
FLATE will coordinate “Made in Florida” manufacturing tours for students taking place across the state on October 3, 2014 and any additional tours conducted between Oct. 1- 17, 2014. There are a number of ways to get involved and help with outreach:
- Schools/Districts can provide transportation and chaperones for students
- Manufacturing companies can host tours and provide lunch for student groups
- Manufacturing related professional organizations can support the costs for Manufacturing Day regional t-shirts for students and encourage companies to participate
- Organize a regional team of manufacturers, schools, other community groups.
- Send any adopted school information to Dream !t Do !t. (email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
1st add MFG Day in Florida 2014
FLATE is currently working with regional “Manufacturing Day teams”, helping to connect school with companies, arranging media publicity, designing and delivering t-shirts, and surveying students to assess the impact on students in specific regions as well as the overall impact on all participating students. Having lunch and t-shirts for the students provides them with an extra incentive for turning in the necessary paperwork needed for a tour. The t-shirts also serve as a tangible and long-time reminder of the significance of Manufacturing in Florida. And, of course, it all helps put the “fun” in manufacturing.
Visit our webpage on the “Made in Florida” site for more MFG DAY in FLORIDA information. This is also where we will recognize participating companies and organizations. If your company can host a tour and provide student lunches, or your organization can assist with purchasing t-shirts for the student participants, publicity, contact Desh Bagley, FLATE outreach manager at email@example.com/813.253.7838 and Dr. Marilyn Barger, executive director at firstname.lastname@example.org/ 813.259.6578. Desh will follow up with all participants with additional information regarding the statewide Manufacturing Day information. Please share this with your organizational membership and others who may be interested. We look forward to everyone’s participation in Florida’s Manufacturing Day celebrations.
FLATE is a National Science Foundation Regional Center of Excellence, committed to ensuring Florida has a well prepared workforce for advanced and emerging technologies. Created in 2004, FLATE is one of 46 Advanced Technological Education Centers in the United States funded by the National Science Foundation focused on improving science, technology, engineering, and mathematics education and training to meet the needs of American advanced technology industries. For more information visit www.fl-ate.org.